how possible it is to spot an incompetent Manager?

Maven Tiger

Owning a business is something that is as difficult as managing a business. at at a point in time one would need to hire a manager to oversee the affairs of the company. Some of those you hire you may know very well, while others you add, maybe not so much to the workplace. These managers have an impact on how your company functions and succeeds. Some of those managers are sometimes incompetent in overseeing the affairs of their teams and your business as a whole.

do you know any proven way to spot incompetent manager(s) early?

Chibson

VIP Contributor
There is no way you will conclude that the manager is incompetent by merely looking at him. Meanwhile there are some attributes or characteristics that tells you that a manager or even an employee is not serious.
The manager that is not motivated to carry out his duties and oversee the affairs of the business is incompetent. Another factor is disunity among the employees;any computer to manager should have the capacity to coordinate and unify the employees in order to work for the goal of the company.

Maven Tiger

I very much agree with you @Chibson. The Easiest to spot would be dis unity among the working staffs of the organization. when a manager is in competent or under qualified to see to the affair of a company, such companies in no time develop a lot of complains about meeting deadlines, mismanagement of productive resource and reduction company's productivity over time.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
It is not easy to spot an incompetent manager because there are varied factors to take into consideration. My first question is the performance of the business or the department. If the business is earning good then that doesn't really mean that the manager is not incompetent. With success there are also many factors to consider.

Doradorwa

Opportunity seeker
The incompetency of a manager can never be easily spotted. But along the line you'll notice blame games. Always blaming the surbordinates. Disunity among workers, lack of respect from the surbordinates, and such managers feel easily threatened by people so they will always either stop people from work without notice or report to you and paint the person bad.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Incompetent managers are those managers hiding under the umbrella of their hardworking staffs,employees to run their business. They don't call for general company's meeting, nor make budgets on their own, just the staffs take care of that. Is just sitting as the CEO as a mete spectator contributing less to the company's growth.

Maven Tiger

It is not easy to spot an incompetent manager because there are varied factors to take into consideration. My first question is the performance of the business or the department. If the business is earning good then that doesn't really mean that the manager is not incompetent. With success there are also many factors to consider.
very true @Alexandboy. I have seen a situation where a new manager was hired and fired within few months of taking charge in a company. Having noticed an increase in volume of sales over the period he took charge but he still got fired. These left me thinking what could be wrong, then I realized the company and it holders valued more sales revenue than increased sales volume which are two different thing.

Maven Tiger

Incompetent managers are those managers hiding under the umbrella of their hardworking staffs,employees to run their business. They don't call for general company's meeting, nor make budgets on their own, just the staffs take care of that. Is just sitting as the CEO as a mete spectator contributing less to the company's growth.
I would agree with you to some point @sincerem. Are you aware some hardworking managers are in competent in some companies and end up being fired? sometimes the management goals are used as yard stick to determine the performance of the manager just as I explained above that some companies value profit maximization to increased sales while managers naturally tend to focus on increase in sales record which actually comes with cost that reduces revenue realized.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
I would agree with you to some point @sincerem. Are you aware some hardworking managers are in competent in some companies and end up being fired? sometimes the management goals are used as yard stick to determine the performance of the manager just as I explained above that some companies value profit maximization to increased sales while managers naturally tend to focus on increase in sales record which actually comes with cost that reduces revenue realized.
I understand your general overview of the topic you created. The company seek for high productivity level and increase sales. If the manager isn't meeting up with the general company's demand to drive their course to greater height, and improve the company's input, productivity, and sales, it might be ousted in the company and lose his or her managerial position.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
It may be difficult to quickly judge someone incompetence by merely looking at him. But you will get to know through his attitude to work. His style of managing will already be skewed and incoherent. He will be blaming others and we be quick to judge others. He won't take much advice and always people he knows it all.

Samuel72

Verified member
Of course yes it is very difficult but all you have to do is to keep an eyes on him with time you will find out if he is an incompetent manager or not. and also it is right for you to give him some task if he can't complete such task or is unable to do it well, then you will know that he is an incompetent manager

Maven Tiger

Of course yes it is very difficult but all you have to do is to keep an eyes on him with time you will find out if he is an incompetent manager or not. and also it is right for you to give him some task if he can't complete such task or is unable to do it well, then you will know that he is an incompetent manager
@Samuel72 I really don't think that's an effective way to evaluate manager's competence level. Some managers over time have develop the habit of pretending especially when they notice any sign of being monitored by the management or the owner. They will put on a mock up managerial act and makes it a lot more difficult. They are that good when it comes to faking such act.