Shares/Stock How many days do people hold onto the shares usually?

greenieS

Verified member
As the title says, how many days do people hold onto the shares usually?

If you were to invest in a company, how long would you hold that share? Would you be satisfied with a quick profit the next day or will you prolong the action with the thought that the company's income will increase and maybe you will earn more?

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I have shares of stocks of the biggest bank here and my intention is to keep the stocks in my holdings if I do not need the money. It is like my lifetime savings that I will only sell the stocks when I have exhausted my operating funds. I know that some investors would buy stocks today and keep it for 1 month. When the price would earn a substantial profit they would sell otherwise they keep it for another month. That's the time they would sell if the price is not at a loss. Again, when the price is lower than the original price when he bought the stocks, it will have to stay for another month or until the market price would go back to its original amount.

For me, trading is like a gamble and I would only buy stocks that I think I can keep for a long time. It is not good for me to speculate because that will just give me stress and I would not get rich with stocks anyway.

Caramelle

The answer to this depends on your motive or objective for holding stocks. Are you a stock trader or are you a stock investor? Stock trading involves close monitoring of the market and timing your stock buying and selling moves to earn quick profits from the fluctuations of stock values. Stock traders may hold stocks for as short as an hour or less. Stock investing involves buying stocks with the hope that their values will increase with time and that it will provide passive income in the form of dividends. Stock investors are hardly affected by market fluctuations because they are in it for the long term. There are inherent risks to stock trading and if one is not that knowledgeable about the stock market and the business environment, it is better to focus on stock investing. Day traders usually perform technical analysis and use various strategies to benefit from market inefficiencies, something that may be too complicated for many regular investors.​