How long after getting hired should you ask for a raise?

Vladv26

How long should you wait after you get hired in order to ask for a raise? I know each company has it's own policy for raising salaries, for example raising every 6 or 12 months. But what if you feel like you are already qualified for the job? What if you have better skills and you are working harder than other employees but you still get the same salary? In this case I assume it is fair to ask for a raise because you deserve it, even if 6 or 12 months have not passed yet. What's your opinion on this, am I right or wrong?

Jasz

VIP Contributor
It's a question that comes up again and again: When should you ask for a raise?
The answer is, it depends. There are no hard-and-fast rules about when to ask for a raise, but there are some general guidelines you can use to help make the decision.

You should ask for a raise when you've earned it. If you're doing great work, then it's likely time to ask. If you've been performing solidly but aren't seeing the results you hoped for, it might also be worth discussing with your boss what needs to change before asking again.

But don't wait too long — if you haven't received one by the time your anniversary rolls around or after six months on the job, it's probably time to start thinking about whether it's worth asking at all.

However, Some employers will give you a raise before they've even hired you. These companies are rare, so don't count on it. If you're being offered the job, then it's a good idea to negotiate for an increase in salary during the interview process.

Holicent

VIP Contributor
It's a question that many of us have asked ourselves: How soon should you ask for a raise? The answer depends on your situation, but generally, it's best to wait at least a few months after starting a new job before bringing up the subject with your boss. A 2017 survey by job site Glassdoor found that while more than half (54%) of employees asked for a raise in their first year on the job, only 38% received one. And if you're looking for a major boost in salary, asking too early can backfire.

"If you're asking for a raise in the first six months [of your job], it's very likely that you don't know enough about what is expected of you," says Dr. Kathryn Minshew, co-founder and CEO of career site The Muse. "You want to be able to demonstrate value before asking for more money."

cmoneyspinner

OK. First of all, if you felt like you were qualified, you should have negotiated your incoming salary BEFORE accepting the job. If the employer wants you but they made you an offer that you wanted to refuse but you did not refuse it, but asked for your reporting date, then you have already signed on the dotted line. NOW ... you have to wait until you think that you have performed well enough to go into your boss and ask for a raise. How much time that will take is up to you. But I recommend that BEFORE you ask for that raise, line up another job tht is paying you the salary you want to earn t this point in your career. That way if they don't give you the raise, you can walk out the door.