How can internal politics/poweplay be managed at work.

Etini

Valued Contributor
Whether we like it or not, politics and powerplay occurs everywhere and in every strata of human endeavour. There is always a constant itch for humans to try and outdo each other. It is found in religious organizations, clubs, families and even in the workplace. It could be fuelled by monetary incentives or sheer desire for control.

I have worked in an organization where three line managers are trying as much as they can to make each other look like the bad person. The persons that are always caught in this power tussle are always the CEO and the other employees.

As a CEO or an entrepreneur that has staff, how do you think you can go about managing this powerplay? If not properly managed, it can tear the organization apart. What measures can be taken to ensure this politics is checked for it not to become destructive and destroy the organization?

E

eldavis

You are absolutely right, this issue is usually constant in most companies and business organizations. I remember when I was first made manager at my current workplace, i had not spent up to four months but i was made manager, does who had been there months and even years before constantly tried to prove they where better than me. I think the best thing to do to prevent this to some extent is by setting a well structured map of the amount of power allocated to each staff. Meaning everyone should know their limits and boundaries. Once this takes place, i believe the power struggle would reduce.

Etini

Valued Contributor
@eldavis defining the boundaries of power won't change much. Where I currently work, there is a clear division of powers between the three managers. But someone would always feel that he/ she is being cheated and starts scheming against the others. I have been called by one of the managers and told that the manager that is close to me is appropriating funds and not allowing incentives to trickle down. This was her subtle way of turning me against the other manager. Imagine I gave in and started fighting that manager, crisis would erupt.

This thing even extends beyond the workplace and gets personal. A colleague arranged an armed robbery attack on a fellow colleague just because he felt the colleague blocked the holes money used to leak from. It is a very delicate thing that needs tact to be managed. People always feel they deserve better and have been cheated.

E

eldavis

@eldavis defining the boundaries of power won't change much. Where I currently work, there is a clear division of powers between the three managers. But someone would always feel that he/ she is being cheated and starts scheming against the others. I have been called by one of the managers and told that the manager that is close to me is appropriating funds and not allowing incentives to trickle down. This was her subtle way of turning me against the other manager. Imagine I gave in and started fighting that manager, crisis would erupt.

This thing even extends beyond the workplace and gets personal. A colleague arranged an armed robbery attack on a fellow colleague just because he felt the colleague blocked the holes money used to leak from. It is a very delicate thing that needs tact to be managed. People always feel they deserve better and have been cheated.
Hmmm i actually understand your point though, then i think in such a situation, punishments and penalties should be added to the law that governs the organization, for as many that would go beyond their boundaries. Though this would not completely eliminate the issue you have mentioned above but it would at least reduce it to some extent.