Have You Ever Tried Marketing A Product And Failed?

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Marketing is one of the most efficient ways to improve your exposure to the customer. It is also a great way to attract new customers to your business. This is because marketing basically unveils your products to new customers. There are many important aspects of marketing. However, I can understand that marketing could be really difficult and not all the people are successful at it. Most of the people do not hire salesman and try to market the products themselves. In the initial stage, they do not achieve much success. I have also tried marketing a mineral water product a few months ago.

I was not much successful at it because of various different reasons. I think this is because the mineral water business is quite competitive in my city and there are many people who already get mineral water delivered to their houses. It is much easy to market products that are scarce in the market and whose demand is quite high. For example, food items that are rare might be high in demand in my area. Clothing business that offers cheap but high-quality clothes might also be in a good demand in my city. So, have you ever tried marketing your product and you never achieved success?

Mika

VIP Contributor
Well, I did not generate a lot of sales through advertising but I would not call it a marketing failure. I marketed my website through facebook and google ads. I spent just about $200 over the period of 4 months and managed to grow my website traffic from zero to 1000 views per day. I did not earn profits but I managed to get back my spending (I made just about $200 from ads when I marketed my website through facebook and google ads). I have also used Facebook and Google ads to advertise my fiverr gigs. I spent $50 and managed to get one gig.

General01

Wow, we are on the same page.
I tried poultry farming business and at the stage of sales I tried marketing it to several people around my area. But the turn up wasn't encouraging then, I had to sell it on credit to one of my neighbors which would subsequently dragged too long before he paid up my money.

That experience redefined how I see marketing, it added so much experience to my marketing skill. I know if I would try it again I wouldn't commit those errors I committed while I was naive.
Failure isn't bad, but failing twice on the same thing is not wise

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
The husband of my cousin made a start up in the garments business. Their main product is the shirt that would give Lacoste a run for its money. I have to agree that the shirt was nice and it can cost a good price in the market. However, it is a new product so they have to promote it nationwide. If I remember correctly, the brand name is Bridges. But the promotion they did was in their circle only and they were depending on the word of mouth. There was no internet yet during that time and the only way to promote a new product is a paid advertisement - billboard, tv and radio, print ads in magazine and newspaper and the small flyers that you distribute to the public.

What happened next was they had spent just little for the stickers. The gimmick of the sticker was for the car so it will be a moving advertisement. It was smart of them. Unfortunately their style didn't work well that the business closed after several months of operation. The products in their small warehouse were sold to a bulk bidding so the partners can divide the proceeds.

D

Deleted member 28127

On beginning you will fail several times because nothing is coming easy even product marketing for commissions however after certain level after acquiring the adequate experience then you will not face much problem as before and this will be a routine work as the beginning are always hard.

CALVINDOL

VIP Contributor
Well in my own aspect I have tried but it didn't work out,my effort proved abbortive.
Many people failed in this aspect because they go into this themselves, without including a second party that can be of help,or seeking for advice from marketing consultant as well as makerteer.
Marketing needs skills,cause you are competing with others share holders.
Market research can also help , collecting information about what people buy and why,so we can know the nature of business we will go into then start marketing our products.
Also our products needs to be marketable,easy to sell, attractive to customers or employers,which will make our marketing scheme easier and a successful one.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
Definitely, I have tried promoting a whole lot of things in the past and I didn't really succeed on it because of obvious reasons. I tried promoting several affiliate marketing products but I was not able to make any sale after so many attempts. There are several reasons why I failed in the marketing campaign I carried out and one of them is because I wanted to promote things for free even when I know that I do not have they require the audience for me to make sales.

I like a whole lot of things from the marketing campaign, one of them is that different social media platforms like Facebook and Pinterest does not really allow people to promote things for free because they make money from the ads people carry out or their various platforms. if you really want to be successful in any marketing campaign for free then you must have built a whole lot of following on different social media platforms and you also need to have a website that attracts a whole lot of traffic on monthly basis. I would also be venturing into affiliate marketing this year but before then I must have a website.