Have you considered fish farming?

Stena

Hello there!
I am an agro-fanatic, and as such I love anything related to agriculture. So far, especially in this part of the world (Africa), agriculture has come to be the main stay of our economy, even though it seems less appreciated.

But, I am more interested in animal husbandry and fish farming to be precised. This aspect of agriculture has provided us with good sources of mineral salts and proteins which our bodies cannot do without.

Have you carried out a recent window shopping on fish? How do you find its cost?

I prefer to culture fishes myself from the fingerling stage to a 'table sized' stage, and most times I carry out brooding, so I can get the eggs myself. It's not only an interesting venture for me, but very lucrative!
Fish feeds are getting expensive, so I have a way to improvise by making my own feeds which could be a blood meal or fish meal. The thing is, as long as we exist, fishes are still going to flood the market and it's buyers are always awaiting. Another thing- it does not have a season when its sale rate is high (as in the case of poultry).

You too can learn fish culturing, and make a business out of it.

Ganibade

Verified member
I've considered fish farming since. I was trying to put some things in their places. But due to a lack of capital, I can not make it. When I noticed that fish farming is a lucrative business in the agricultural sector, I want to get a plot of land to start fish farming, but I cannot make a good profit from it. Breeding of finger nails is not easy for me, so I was trying to buy my own from a good farm, but I don't have much to buy it. I have it in mind that when I have enough capital or if I can borrow from the government, To have a successful fish farming operation, I will have to buy one acre of land. I learnt this farming method from one private company dealing with agriculture and fish production in my country.

Last edited:

Abee111

Yeah. Fish farming is one of the farming I want to be doing not for commercial propose but for my personal consumption. The challenge am having is that no one close to me to teach me the basics of how to start and how to go about it, the feeding to give them and other treatment to give them. While searching for it online sometimes is confusing because different people with different ways and strategies on how they do their own feeding. Also different type of fish breed too. I once tried it but I couldn't make it, due to lack of good management although it was a start and I don't actually know what to give them at first, in fact I have no idea about fish farming I just went ahead and buy fingerlings and buy their food that's all. Seriously I want to learn how to farm fish.

Kendy

Verified member
Actually, I have never really considered fish farming and this is due to the fact that I have phobia for fishes. Although I have an acquaintance who is specifically into rearing of fishes in a small scale and she started out by using a large drums where she deposited the fishes at their young age which is known as the fingerlings. The business is quite profitable especially prior when the price of fishes were cheaper and the prices of their food was also cheaper but right now everything is on the high side. Personally, I prefer venturing into a poultry farm although it has its disadvantages because when once a bird is infected with a flu, there is a high possibility that all the chickens will be affected as well but I still choose it over to fish farming because I could always make profit in a short while and I could manage them if I employ the services of a veterinary doctor. There are so many people in my geographical setting who are involved in fish farming where they have large ponds and fishes of different species and from what I see, the business is quite profitable and has low risk chances when compared to poultry farming.