Gig Working Vs Full Time Job

Mika

VIP Contributor
Gig working means you are paid per project, per presentation, per day, or per hour. A full-time job means you work in a 9-5 job (or similar work schedule) and you are on the company’s payroll.

As a gig worker, you use a freelancing platform that connects you to employers or app-based companies that provide short-term works/gigs.

Zoomers believe that gig working is more secure than being fully employed because it offers flexibility and a long-term work-life balance.

Contrarily, Boomers believed that working full time will make financial stable as you don’t have to look for jobs frequently.

My father retired from a job after working for 20 years. I cannot imagine working for the same company for that long. In my 6 years of working, I switched to 4 different companies. My father believed in working for a secured job so that money comes in regularly. However, I like to work on short-term projects and work on projects that give me as much money as I need.

Both your father and you have different taste, your father is from the time when freelance jobs were very much limited to some locations, and you are in a time when technology is developed, you can get work from anywhere around the world. However, your father retired only after 20 years, then he might worked elsewere too.

I once had a full time job. I started getting freelancing contracts even when I was fully engaged with my job. The one day I had to choose between freelancing and full time job. I chose freelancing even though I was earning well from my job. The reason why I chose freelancing was because I was already earning almost half of what I earned from my job by working almost 50 percent less compared to the full time job. Another reason why I chose freelancing was because as a freelancer I got unlimited opportunities to make money, however, with my job, I could not make extra money except the monthly pay check. I also chose freelancing because it was easier to balance work and life. I had to go to my workplace at the fixed hours and 5 days a week, however, as a freelancer I could work at any hours and I could refuse to work if I was not in mood to work. As far s financial security is concerned, freelancing gives me more financial security compared to a job because can work more, earn more, save more, invest more and be financially free. It also gives me a leverage to become my own boss.