Flipping used cars as a business idea?

Shaf

Verified member
When it comes to ways one can earn money, especially as a part-time side hustle, you can't ignore the possibility of one idea.

Recently, I've seen many people trying to make this a business and I've been wondering how lucrative it is. More than that, one major concern I have is the challenges one will face in doing such as this will be the determinant of if it succeeds or fails.

To flip cars as a business, they buy old cars or those that are fairly used at bargain prices and then sell them at higher prices. Sometimes, they do some renovation work on the cars, fix any mechanical faults and repaint the cars. If the car is fairly well maintenance they may not do anything to it.

My husband has bought two cars this way, and after a short while the price has appreciated about 25% to 50% for both. A cousin also has done this with some gains, but it has its challenges.

Most notable is that it is not a source of income to depend on entirely. Sometimes, you may not get a buyer willing to pay the price you want for months.

Also, you need significant capital to work with, and you need good management skills and negotiation skills. You also should have some knowledge about cars and their problems so that fixing those issues can be done as cheaply as possible.

Aside those, flipping old and used cars is lucrative and easy.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
Flipping used cars may be one of the most common ways to make money these days, but it's also one of the riskiest. Whether you're flipping cars as a hobby or you've decided to make it your full-time job, here are some tips for making sure your business is a success:

Start Small

The best way to start flipping cars is by finding a great deal on something safe and reliable that you can buy cheaply and sell for more. If you find that it sells quickly and easily, then you know you have a winning formula. Over time, you can branch out into other types of cars, but stick with the ones you know will sell if you’re just starting out.

Know Your Market

There are lots of people out there who want to buy used cars but don't want the hassle of haggling with private sellers. That's where you come in! You can use sites like eBay Motors to sell your car at a price that's slightly above what it would cost in a private sale so that people will still save money but not have to go through the process of selling it themselves.

Keep It Clean

The better shape your car is in when someone buys it, the easier time they'll have reselling it

Austinaldo

This can be a good business and a successful one too. Cars are used in every part of the world. They are also in high demand as it is what aids transportation. I see no reason why one shouldn't be successful flipping used cars. If you do it rightly and calculate your moves well, you should be successful.

Used cars might be a risk asset but they are cheap and affordable. People from the lower class develop a growing interest on used cars because their budget can not afford a higher one. I think that should be your market target. You can import used cars from foreign countries where they are cheaper. You can also source them locally. It all depends on your findings. First you have to make your findings to see which option favour you the most and which option serve the interest of your prospective customers as well.

One final thing to put into consideration is the cars must not be stolen ones. You have to deploy a strategy to spot stolen cars and report them. You don't want to flip cars that are stolen because that will land you in trouble and put you in greater loss that you might have envisaged. I think proper research is advised here.

Thank you.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
No doubt, what you mentioned is a rich business to start, but to be candid, it requires reasonable amount of capital to get started with it. You can just start it up if you don't have funds. Because you aren't buying used car that isn't movable, you'll spend money to buy a sound vehicle and resell for a better profit. And again, you need vehicles and not just one, in order to maximize profit flipping them. Unless you're telling me about staring as a middle man or an agent, whose job is to drag buyer and seller together for agreement to be reached. If such, then the business is a wise choice, but not straight forward. Since the middle man have to do every thing at his reach to connect the both suitors together to reach a consensus to make money from it. Making it work, the middle man or agent needs to have connections, make himself or herself known to people about what he or she is offering. Such kind put him in the right frame, not just making himself known only on offline, also seeking online presence also to bolster his or her chances of reaching out to targeted people.