Fact Check: Do People Really Make Money With Affiliate Marketing.

moonchild

VIP Contributor
Sometimes back I was spammed with mail about affiliate marketing, I didn't have much doing then, so I just went with the flow, the guy said I have to buy a course to learn about it, then I'll start earning from my referrals.

It looks like a pyramid scheme to me because why do I have to buy a product before I earn, is it not supposed to be commission based kind of thing?

My curiosity grew, I wanted to know how it all works, I then search for the company on Facebook and guess what? I saw a myriad of marketers, posting about the same thing, I then chatted one of them up that I want to participate in the network he said I have to buy an e-book for 70k and read it, then after reading the book, I'll learn the secret of Affiliate marketing and I can resell the book to recoup my money and all, I just blocked him at that point.

My conclusion is that is either they don't know the meaning of Affiliate Marketing or they're just playing with people's intelligence, because there's no any underlying product they're affiliated with that they earn commission on, it's just a facade, another multi level marketing.

Solution
That is not called affiliating marketing but MLM. In affiliate marketing, you don't buy any product. You only promote the product on behalf of the seller. The promoter will link the intending buyers with the sellers and collect commission based on the products sold. In MLM, you will be given some products to sell before making money.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
I don't really understand the point you are trying to arrive at, but what I understand is that people are making a lot of money from affiliate marketing and I have people that are making so much money from affiliate marketing, that really convinced me to even start thinking positively about affiliate marketing when I didn't even have interest for it.. you may have tried affiliate marketing before and maybe you were not successful but that shouldn't give you a conclusion that it is not profitable and people are not making money .you might not have done it the right way.

moonchild

VIP Contributor
@Sotherefore what I mean is the guys I met told me I have to buy a product and resell it to be able to make profit.

For example if you're selling a product normally if you want to create an affiliate network for it, you'll put a percentage on it for every sale that your affiliates make right?

But the guy told me I need to buy the product myself from him(the affiliates), then I'll learn how to do affiliate marketing with the product(book) and then I'll sell it to someone to, which means I'm not earning a commission when I make a sale, I'll get to keep the whole money for the sale if this happened then I think the word affiliate has lost its meaning and no, I haven't done affiliate marketing in the past, I'll be looking forward to learn to, you can consider creating a thread for if.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Ok I understand, Well this is somehow an affiliate marketing but I may not really like to engage in this affiliate marketing because it may not really be profitable compared to the affiliate marketing that involve the use of clickbank ,a lot of people are using clickbank because the commission they are selling a product is high and it is possible for you to get 50% commission on the products you are selling .anyway affiliate marketing is a wide area that you really need to learn and understand because without proper understanding you might make mistakes along the way as an affiliate marketer.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
That is not called affiliating marketing but MLM. In affiliate marketing, you don't buy any product. You only promote the product on behalf of the seller. The promoter will link the intending buyers with the sellers and collect commission based on the products sold. In MLM, you will be given some products to sell before making money.

Solution

Icon

Yes people make money on affiliate marketing and it really pays but not as easy as it sounds because it takes a while before you can be able to earn some tangible amount of money, and it is available for people from all over the world even here in Africa

Chibson

VIP Contributor
I have seen several people who make money with affiliate marketing both locally and internationally. I have also been able to meet a lot of people who are successful affiliate marketers on the internet and this kind of people usually give some of their information for free.

I have been able to learn from those who are actually gurus in affiliate marketing but one of the limitations is that I have is that I have not really been able to implement all the knowledge that I have gotten as an affiliate marketer.

Affiliate marketing really works but before you venture into it there are several skills you need to learn and you must understand that it is not a get-rich-quick scheme.

You must work on your mindset if you really want to become successful in affiliate marketing because it's not really easy and sometimes it can take some months for you to be able to make a single sale.

One of the things I always advise people to do when they want to venture into affiliate marketing is to start a blog and after some period of time when they start getting traffic they can begin to promote their affiliate products.

Affiliate marketing is quite different from multi-level marketing which so many people regard as it.

NileVan

There are so many people talking about affiliate marketing in YouTube and seems like everyone can earn in an easy way. And I think if you have so many followers, affiliate marketing is good for you. If you are a newbie, then it is hard to sell even one product.

Mika

VIP Contributor
Multi Level Marketing (MLM) and Affiliate Marketing are entirely different things. MLM is basically a ponzi scheme, where Affiliate Marketing is a legit method to make money, without investing any money. In order to make money with Affiliate Marketing, you need just one thing that is Digital Marketing Skills. If you are a good digital marketer, you can sell a lot of affiliate products and make a lot of money.

Since the OP asks “do people really make money with affiliate marketing” I will try to share my own perspective. My first experience was not very good. I did not sell any products for 6 months, therefore, I removed all affiliate links from my site. Then after a year, I again started promoting affiliate products and I started selling affiliate products. What did I do? Well, I started promoting the right product to the right audience. Initially, I was promoting all sorts of products, but later I chose a niche and started promoting products in that niche.

E

eldavis

The simple answer to this is yes, people actually make a lot of money from Affiliate marketing. I know of some persons in my contacts that are making money form it but the truth is that it's never as easy as they make it seem. Affiliate marketing takes times to build your network and grow it. Affiliate marketers tend to make it sound east just so they can get referrals under them but in reality it's way more difficult. I have a friend who was convinced to join affiliate marketing, after joining he started complaining to me that it was not as easy as they where told, they have to personally market their work from scratch.

cmoneyspinner

The topic of affiliate marketing comes up in a lot of forums and communities. Since I am active in a lot of forums and communities, my responses never change, I sometimes feel like I'm a broken record. But what I say is the truth based on my experience, so my responses never changes. YES!! You can make money doing affiliate marketing. I know there are courses that claim they can teach you how. But I never taken one of the courses. I read a few articles that I Googled, go the gist of what I needed to do, and dived in! I have been at this for over 10 years. My only complaint is that I wish I could make money from affiliate marketing consistently. I have good months an bad months. I would like to have good months every month! LOL.