Downsizing or slashing of salaries?

btaliat

VIP Contributor
When running a business. At times, what we don't plan for do happen. Some may be natural incident like pandemic, natural disaster etc while some may be man made like bankruptcy or insolvent.
So if these unfortunate incidents happen, as a business owner or intending business owner, how will you choose from either downsizing your workers, I mean reducing the numbers of your employees or slashing their salaries. Which one will you adopt if you are the owner of the business and why do you choose to adopt the option.? And which one do you think is better to be adopted.?

marcusfe

Downsizing to me is the act of inhumanity to human. How can you decide to just layoff someone who has been working for you to some times and taking of his/her family from the salary without prior notice of at least six months. I'll rather practice a salary slash if the workers so agree with it. The only way I can release any worker to go in that case is to make their decision whether to stay or leave.

D

Deleted member 27126

When running a business. At times, what we don't plan for do happen. Some may be natural incident like pandemic, natural disaster etc while some may be man made like bankruptcy or insolvent.
So if these unfortunate incidents happen, as a business owner or intending business owner, how will you choose from either downsizing your workers, I mean reducing the numbers of your employees or slashing their salaries. Which one will you adopt if you are the owner of the business and why do you choose to adopt the option.? And which one do you think is better to be adopted.?
None of the two is actually palatable to an employee but an organization would always feel cool with anything no matter what

springtech

This is always a tough call to make honestly, but every business is operating in order to make money/profit, so if any condition arises that threatens this goal, a decision has to be taken like outright downsizing or cut in salaries. I prefer the later, as it is better to still be in employment than to be out of it.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
What's the essence of being in employment that your salary has been cut off. It is like not being in none to me. Don't let is be using half a bread is better than none. It is better to be laid off and the employees find his or her way by joining other business or company than being in a reduced salary. In life, never settle for less, unless it is the best less.

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
Downsizing or reducing salary, well there is a saying that goes thus, half bread is better than none. So in my own oppinion it will be better to reduce or cut down on salaries then laying of staffs back to the street, people with family and Bill's to pay , it will be very terrible. So in my own oppinion cutting down on salary might be a better option.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
Every businesses experience some time of crisis and also financial loss. In that scenario many companies layoff their workers while song slash the salary of their workers. If I am to be the owner of any business in that scenario I will definitely take to slash the salaries of workers but before that it will be to their consent and of course if you're comfortable with it, then you can continue working.

Kennysplash

Verified member
It is very true that sometimes this situation is inevitable. You will have to make this decision for the sake of your business. In that case I will choose to slash their salaries. I will first call their attention to it and let them know, of course they will also understand. So I think slashing of salary is better than laying off people that worked hard to help you in your business. You never know who is depending on them, I won't pay off anyone.

greatguy1

Major business organizations will downsize and sell off some of their business brands to willing investors especially the non-profit making branch of their business. It is bad for workers-management relationship to reduce salary. This will not foster unity and could reduce output or productivity.

Queentener

I will always say this anytime anyday downsizing is not and should not be an option in as much as I know that the situation might be the reason for such dicision, but the employees can move talked to, the employer should have a round table discussion with them to tell them about the situation of things and a compromise should be reached which is cutting down the salaries and saving people from becoming unemployed suddenly.

Daykas

Downsizing is a bad option to me cause it like making people become unemployed cause u will relief of their duty and source of income. Cutting their salaries will still give them hope of a better day

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
Whichever you choose to save on cost will pull down the morale of the workers. Some big companies offer early retirement to reduce the payroll cost. But the retirement package also means cost. With the reduction of salary I guess that is not a good option to take because it can create an exodus that worker would be leaving.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Downsizing means putting some people off jobs and no more payment for them, while slashing means reduction in salary which is a lot better. Well, a business owner should always think it out properly before taking a decision. If downsizing will help keep the business afloat so be it than keeping staff that he will be struggling to pay

eojo2401

As far as I am concern, slashing of salary and allowances is better than downsizing. With downsizing, the affected people will be jobless and the traumatic experience they will undergo may make some of them think of committing suicide, but with slashing of salary as a result of financial challenges of the institution is good and as time goes on, the institution may increase the salary again when the financial position of the company or institution is back on track. With this option, nobody is on loosing side, everybody is a winner.