Investment Does your parent influence your investment choice.?

btaliat

VIP Contributor
It is normal for your parents to influence your investment choice if you are still living under your parents but in a case whereby you live alone it is right for you to make your own decision this is because you are a man of yourself and your idea are yours alone. If you allow people to influence your investment choice it might affect you in future, but sometimes your parents might have better opinion.
I could infer from your conclusion that you prefer to sit on the fence. You don't want to support the idea of parents influencing their children choice of investment neither you want to throw your weight on the other argument. To me, parents should not be influencing their children choice. Even if it is a wrong choice. They should allow children to grow in their own.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Many times parents do Influence the investment decision of their children especially when the parents are being told about their decision making. I also have a direct experience of how my mother discouraged me from investing into a chalk making business when I told her about 7years ago. She totally discouraged me from investing because of some reasons best known to her. Though, I listened to her and I later discovered that making chalk would have been a waste of money.
Can you do the same to your children? Though I have direct experience with my parents as well as I illustrated in my write up but I see it as infringing on right of choice. Parents may be experience but it is always nicer to allow children as well to explore. Even if they fail in the first attempt, they will gain experience too.

funmi

Verified member
Many times parents do Influence the investment decision of their children especially when the parents are being told about their decision making. I also have a direct experience of how my mother discouraged me from investing into a chalk making business when I told her about 7years ago. She totally discouraged me from investing because of some reasons best known to her. Though, I listened to her and I later discovered that making chalk would have been a waste of money.

Samuel72

Verified member
It is normal for your parents to influence your investment choice if you are still living under your parents but in a case whereby you live alone it is right for you to make your own decision this is because you are a man of yourself and your idea are yours alone. If you allow people to influence your investment choice it might affect you in future, but sometimes your parents might have better opinion.

arunima25

Verified member
Once a legal adult, one is free to take all financial decisions. Parents can be a valuable contributor as they have experience with them and can guide one taking the right decision. I mean it is always good to discuss with people who have idea about financial stuff and have their own personal experience..A healthy discussion and exchange of ideas is always a good thing. But then one should not force something or despise off every idea of others. I am not sure how old is your friend and whether he depends on his parents for any sort of financial assistance. If their money is involved, they can be dictating the terms.