Does a music artist need a record label to succeed?

Etini

Valued Contributor
Record labels are companies that sign an artiste and help him/her manage the business side of his talent. In essence, they help that artiste monetize his/her talent. We have had cases of record labels exploiting artists with ridiculous deals that shortchange the artist. This happens just because the artist needs the platform provided by the record label to succeed in the music business.

Is it possible to succeed in a music career as an independent artist? Do you really need a record label to succeed? My take is that an artist can succeed independently but it would require a lot of hard work to achieve that. That would mean the artist would have to handle the creative part and the business part all by himself. He has to possess sound background knowledge in the music business to be able to run it. While difficult and expensive, it is not impossible to succeed as an independent artist.

Carpon

Valued Contributor
You know there is always an ease that comes when you have enough support. This is true and applies in this condition. When an artist is signed up to a label, he or she enjoys so many privileges and his or her success will be quiet easier and faster.

But I know of so many independent artists that are making it and even better than some of the signed up artists. But one thing I know for sure is that as an independent artist, you will have to go through a lot before you go mainstream. Taking a journey in this aspect alone may be really slow and needs or should I say requires much Hardwork and dedication.

So I personally think that if an artist has the opportunity to get signed up, he or she should go ahead but must be very careful because as you said, some labels only take advantage of artists and may have been better if such artist never got signed up in the first place.

uforwealth

Verified member
My answer to your question is absolutely YES- An artiste must work with a record label if he or she wants to succeed financially . Considering the benefits a musician or an artiste enjoys, the importance of a record label can not be overemphasized.

The followings are some of the benefits of a record label to an artiste.

Record labels assists an artiste to record his or her music
They help artistes monetize their music
They make an artiste popular and well-known locally and globally

Record labels take risks for the artistes in the sense that there may be little or no demand for some songs and this may affect the company(record label) adversely . Therefore, without the assistance of record labels there is no way an artiste can succeed in life. Music artiste needs a record label to succeed.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
You may have heard that a lot of music artists do not get paid for their work. In reality, it's not true. A lot of artists are getting paid.

The problem is that they are not getting paid enough. The average record label pays only around 1% of what an artist earns from their work. Most of the money comes from live shows and concerts, which can be quite lucrative for them.

The reason why this happens is because there are so many artists out there trying to make it in the music industry - and that means there are too many talented musicians who are going without any opportunities for growth or financial reward.

This is where record labels come in - they provide both income streams and opportunities for growth for the musicians they sign onto their roster; all while giving them a platform to show off their talents and make some money along the way.