Saving Money Do You Live In Your Parents' House To Save Money?

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Almost all the people struggle when it comes to saving money and this is also one of the biggest reasons why people would do anything to save money as much as possible. Some people become stingy and they form a habbit of being stingy. The big expenses include accomodation expense like house rent, electricity bills, gas bills, etc. On the other hand, some other expenses include grocery expenses and other kinds of miscellaneous expenses. Not all the people are able to afford all of these expenses and this is why they prefer to live in parents house. This can be a difficult choice for many people because they basically have no other choice at all. So, Do You Live In Your Parents' House To Save Money?

Kendy

Verified member
I understand your thread quite well and this is nothing but a reality. Presently, I am still living in my parents house but I will not say that it is quite intentional because at this age, I should for long start my own independent life. Living with your parents to save money is an ideal way to accomplish your objective but this can bring disdain and scorn especially when you have parents that are not understanding. I am still saving the best I can and I will hope to vacate permanently from my parents house in the next 24months or before then depending on how my plans with my academic programme hasten or how much I can save but the target is not to pass 24months interval from this year. The most painful thing is growing in age daily and realizing that you are not growing financially and that you have not achieved anything. Some people do not have a choice because of limited funds and there are also those who are risk-takers, no matter the limited funds, they will always find a way to leave the house and start their life from the scratch. Learning to be independent to some extent has taught me a lot of first-hand lessons.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
In our culture it is common to see a married child to be living with the parents. That is one way of saving money for the lesser expenses. There is no rent to pay and more likely the parents' house is nearer the work place. Usually the parents are the ones who wanted the married child to stay so that they can take care of their grandchildren. However, the confidence of the child in buying their own home may be weakened because there is no need to spend. That is especially true when the married child is the only child by the parents. Presumably the child will inherit the house when the parents die so there is no reason for the child with a family to leave.

Honestly, I also lived with my parents when I got married. For several years I was saved from the rental expenses and my mother took care of our baby when my wife and I were at work. But I have to admit that it is not a good arrangement because I have no independence.

moonchild

VIP Contributor
I don't see any problem with living with parents if you're at least taking care of the bills as much as you can.

Some parents are overprotective and they would prefer their kids to stay with them, this can breed laziness to be honest and home as we all know is a comfort zone nothing is challenging you to think our of the box or to do something remarkable.

If an individual is willing to go far in life you have to be willing to leave your comfort zone and start a life independently, taking care of your needs and providing for yourself.

In Nigeria, most young adults leaves their parents house after NYSC which is a mandatory one year service after bachelor's degree.

And some just stay back at their parents house doing some odd jobs around trying to earn a living.

Personally, I still live in my parent's house and I'm contemplating whether to leave or to stay by next year, well only time will tell.

My only advise is, if you're still living with your parents make sure you are contributing something to the bills don't just be a freeloader or better still do some house chores at least.

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
There several kinds of culture here in this country and there are some culture that does not see anything wrong with grown up man or woman who is of a marital age still living with his or her parents. And there are some cultures here that may see it as a taboo, they will consider any man who decides to stay in his parents house as been very lazy, or not hard working enough, as they will consider such man not man enough because he has refuse to do the needful. Which to go out there get a job and struggle on his own to get a good accommodation that will accommodate him and his wife and family if he has children. They do not encourage that too my culture, in fact when a man impregnate a lady instantly you will be sent out to go and fend for the lady and the child as you may end up getting little or no support what so ever. This is why it is essential for a man to always struggle very hard before starting a family. And there are other cultures who permit the man to be lazy and stay in his parents house with his family.

Abigael

Valued Contributor
Living with parents to save money is a very good option and that is what I am currently doing. Though this is most suitable for young people like me who are just fresh out of school and have no stable employment. Older guys will find still living with parents to be really uncomfortable.

Living with your parents saves you alit of money. First, you won't have to pay rent which most people do when they decide to move out. You parents won't be paying for your rent and so you will have to work hard for that.

Secondly, you won't have to buy foods and groceries because your parents may be the ones to cover that. Which is even better when you live in the countryside and your parents grow their own food. That becomes really convenient as the food expenses are cut.

You may need to help out your parents with some expenses but they won't be as much as it could if you were living alone in a rental house. Therefore, don't be in a rush to leave your parent's house while you are still young. But also use that time wisely so that you can grow financially and prepare for when you finally move out.

TOZZIBLINKZ

VIP Contributor
A a good business minded individual should be taught the habit of saving from a very young age . That was basically what happened to me , my parents took the initiative within themselves to teach me including my siblings the benefits and the reasons why it is important for human beings to save . The further told us that money is a very basic and important tool and must be spent sensibly and rightfully and a person who doesn't spend money the right way is prone to go broke in the future and so in order to avoid being broke good and considerable savings can suffice .

Although , I am still dependent on my parents and guardians to care for some of my physical and material needs it is still important that I save money which I am able to get as a result of working on small gigs paying website online . To be more elaborate marjority of the money I earn from the trendri website is been saved for unforeseen occurrences and circumstances which I probably may not know about but might take place in the future . In conclusion , the habit of saving is very important I must be in one of the skill of a good business owner or a responsible individual .