Do I Need To Have Experience Before I Can Start A Business?

Sikapa

Verified member
Establishing a business is not easy thing for the first place. Many people start a business but couldn't finish it whiles others continued already started business and also failed. This means starting and managing a business is something that is not cheap.

Can one say is luck of experience? Do you need to have experience as a business owner before you can start a business? I don't think so. You don't have to have experience about the business you want to establish before you can go a heard and start it by yourself but you rather need a manager who have the idea about the particular business.

The mind of business tycoons is not about the idea of the business they way to enter but is about the money of which they can invest. If you only have the money then sure you can get Someone's experience to manage your business as simple as that.

This is the reason why many people own different business and companies, not that they really have an idea about what they are doing but because they have the money and they got the idea from different people. Money is what we use to start business not experience.

Rachael

Verified member
Experience they say is the best teacher. When we talk about experience, it means having an idea about how something should be done or operated upon. Even in most jobs, before an employee is selected, he or she must have a certain level of experience. In the teaching profession, it would be a misfire to employ someone who has never taught in the classroom or someone who does not have the needed qualifications and this applies to the line of business. Many entrepreneurs have failed in their various businesses because they failed to realize that experience matters a lot.

Experience is not just about watching people sell or market and advertise their products, it goes beyond the surface level. In business, it might not be expected that you have a first-hand experience, because most individuals are new in the line of business but it is pertinent to put some yardstick in place which involves carrying out a market survey and a personal research to know the do's and don'ts which a business require. My experience in the line of my janitorial service has made it easier for me to operate even when I only had manual tools because I had no finances to purchase digital tools yet I still did the work to be equivalent to that which digital tools could perform.

Austinaldo

Experience is highly needed when it comes to business. You are aware you need money to start a business right? Now tell me if it makes sense to loss that money because of that business. It doesn't. And I mean no disrespect, but one must learn a business to gain more insight and have a few prior experience. You can keep a mentor or buy books in the area of the business.

For me I think one should consult people in the field for advice. You have to do these things beforehand. Do not put your money in a business that you have no prior knowledge about. That to me is like throwing money in the ocean. The business will crash. It is a definite statement. Businesses have a learning curve. You can't be profitable on the first trial. This is why you must learn it to be successful at it.

I do not rule out the possibility of luck. But can you just rely on luck? That is a mere illusion. That is simply just putting your hopes in the wind. I think you should be more practical about how you handle your business and the rule of thumb for me is learn the process first.

Good luck.

Ithedicious

Valued Contributor
It will depend on you at the end of the day , but from my understanding I think it is absolutely necessary because is with the experience that you will understand all the challenges of the business you are going to establish. It is the best because when you understand the challenges you are likely to face in the business , you will know how you can prepare for these challenge and when it comes , it won't have any serious effect in your business and this is one of the best way to handle a business , by preparing for everything ahead.

Sometimes people without experience may start up a business but when challenges come , they don't know how to handle these challenge and in most cases this is where business collapse are likely to happen.

Even if you do not have experience by going for training you can have experienced by having at least good qualification or degree concerning the business you are interested to start , at least this will really expose you to so many things and most people who are establishing a business does not have to go for training but with better and qualified academic degree , you can start up a business confidently.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
As a matter of fact, there is no any stated rule that says that an individual must have experienced before he or she can decide to go about starting a business or not .

The fact is that, this is solely dependent on how you really want to succeed in the business .
The relevance of having previous experience in a particular field or business can never be overemphasized because it goes a long way to show how you can be able to tackle challenges that will present .

A previous experience in a business helps you to avoid making some of the mistakes that people who do not have experience do.

Previous experience mean that you were actually working with somebody else who is doing good in the business and he may have learnt enough for that person .

If you do not have enough knowledge from your previous experience, then that means you did not really want to have, because there are so many experiences that come from having a previous knowledge.

There are still individuals who go about starting a business without having any previous experience at all and they are still doing good .

It is only important for you to determine for yourself what kind of business owner you want to be.

moneyteam

It depends on the business you want to start, and your own personal experience and skills. If you're starting a tech company, for example, it's helpful to have a background in coding or software development. But if you're starting a retail business, experience in customer service or Running a register can be just as valuable.

The most important thing is to have a clear vision for your business, and to be passionate about what you're doing. If you're starting a business because you think it sounds cool or like an easy way to make money, then you're likely setting yourself up for failure. But if you have an intense desire to succeed and are willing to put in the work you'll definitely find success.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
I can understand that money is what is needed to start up a business, yes . But sometimes you can't just use money to start up a business when you don't really understand how the business should will be done.

Okay let's just say you have the money to start up a cryptocurrency trading business , does it really mean that you will just invest your money and start trading without having an understanding of how to trade ? No, that can't really be possible because going like that , you are very sure of losing all your money to the volatile nature of the crypto market.

Anyone that is interested to start up a business should have a way of getting the required experience or understanding of the business and even if you don't have the experience , at least you need to work with people that have better understanding of how the business can be done perfectly.

This will really help you. Is not really compulsory that you need to be experienced on the business you are about to establish , but the most important thing is that getting these experiences might really help you and can also reduce the risk of business failure.

TOZZIBLINKZ

VIP Contributor
Yes , there is absolutely no way that your business will stand if you do not require experience or serve as an apprentice for another person so as to acquire the requisite and equip knowledge about what the business you intend to go into really means thereby knowing the pros and the Con's that come with running such a business and also knowing what to do so as to boost profit the right way . lack of experience is one of the factors that have led a lot of businesses through making them to shut down and go bankrupt .

Imagine an individual who intend to open a barbing saloon and after furnishing the Barbing saloon and making it look attractive to clients and customers , he or she thought that he was set for business . And when a client shows up in the barbing salon , he was sure that he was able to bard . But when the client sees that the barber does not know how to give him he's needed or wanted hairstyle that client was never going to come to that place anymore , this is because the barber lacks experience on how to Barb effectively .

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
To start any business one need to have good idea or knowledge of what to do before starting the business.
Many people fails because they lack business idea and they also refuse to ask those who know more about it.
Most of the time people that do not have much idea about the business always make sure that they employed those that knows more about the business so that the business will not suffer set back in he future and by so doing it can also leads to the down fall of such business.

Abigael

Valued Contributor
Running a business is not easy for sure. But that does not mean that it cannot be done. Most people just have the money but no experience on how to run the business. Which is still great because you can hire someone who has experience and skill to manage the business for you.

If you cannot afford to hire a manager just yet, you can take time and learn everything there is to know about the business before you can start the business. You can even take a course offline for businesses such as catering or bakery so that you can gain the skills.

Another important thing when running business without experience is to have a mentor. Mentors are really great for guiding business startups as they will lead you on how to get started and run the business. They will even give you tips on how to deal with any challenges that you are facing.

This shows us that you can actually start a business even without experience. You just need the knowledge and skills or ability to hire an experienced manager to run the business for you. Many big businesses started as small startups with the business owner having less experience but they are now so big and thriving.

Ayeshabashir

From my perspective, I think experience is very important before starting any thing whether it is related to business or any other work.Because through experience you will be able to know that what things are required in order to start up the new business. You will able to get proper knowledge and information about your profession. And if you will start business at very first time then it will be very risky for you due to lack of knowledge and experience. In short we can say that experience is the winning formula through which you can gain success in your life.And if you have no experience then it means you are just wasting your time and money .Experience helps the person for building up the skills besides this work experience gives us the chance to show our skills and abilities

Last edited:

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I know it is good to always have a little bit of experience in the business one needs want to start. This is why it is advisable to go learn the business you want to start if not for anything but to know the intracacies of the business. Being a total novice to a business means that you might make some mistakes and you should hope that it wouldn't be devastating to the business which might even bring a total collapse to the business

Experience gives one indept knowledge about a business

it helps one know the potholes and draw backs of the business to avoid

it will help one to know how to get customers almost immediately after opening the business

experience wíll help one know the kind of workers to get for the business

Experience will help one to know the liabilities and expenses of the business to be able to reduce them to the barest minimum.

So having experience before starting a business comes with a lot of benefits so it is really worth acquiring it whether little or not.

E

eldavis

It's not a must to have experience when starting up a business, but it is necessary. I met a young entrepreneur some days back and she said something that really got my attention while we where discussing, she said before you can startup your personal business, make sure you have worked under someone before. She said the reason for this is to gain the needed experience and knowledge on how to deal with certain difficulties that might come your way.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
A lot of people do not know that experience is very important if you really want to succeed in any business.

Experience is all about having proper knowledge and understanding of how a business works and of course you can get that experience from making personal research. You can read the stories of people that have ventured into business before and know how they succeeded and you can apply the same thing in your own business to succeed.

You can also have experience by hiring mentors that will guide you to become very successful in your business. There are too many ways of gaining experience as someone that wants to venture into any business.

It is also very important for you to start small if you are new to business because that will probably give you a lot of experience and you will have the opportunity to experiment what you have learnt about running a successful business. A lot of people do not understand all these things and that is the reason why when I start business after some time their business will start falling.

You don't just venture into a business without having proper knowledge and understanding of how such a business works because on the long run you will regret.

Richee84

As the say goes that experience is the best teacher so the same thing goes with a business, an entrepreneur must have at least little knowledge about the business he or she plan to venture into before embarking on. Having knowledge of a particular business give a very good advantage to the success of that business. When a business owner have a good and sound knowledge about a business before going into that business, running the business will be very smooth and easy to manage for him. The knowledge he has will make him expert in the line of the business rather than been a novice. It will be very easy to coordinate all the resources at his and her disposal to achieve the goal of the business. Those that just venture in a particular business without adequate knowledge will find it very hard or difficult to run and manage the business in the best possible way to make the business successful. Those that have the require knowledge might be mislead by it manage and it will be difficult for him to know because he or she is a complete novice in that line of the business. Those that have the knowledge have better edge over those that are novice in the line of the business.

Mika

VIP Contributor
Before Elon Musk established Tesla, did he have any experience in manufacturing luxury electric cars? Before Jeff Bezos established Amazon, did he have any experience with managing an online store? Technically speaking, you do not need any experience in order to succeed in the business, a lot of people have become very successful in their first attempt or even when they have started something new. In order to become successful with the business, you basically need one thing, that is the idea. When Jeff Bezos created Amazon he had an idea, to sell products online. In 1995 Internet was slowly getting popular and Jeff Bezos had a vision that one-day people will start buying from the internet. Look at him, how visionary he was. He did not have experience but he had a brilliant idea. Success largely depends on the kind of products you are creating. Sometimes you can be successful in the business even when you do not have a brilliant idea. That's when you have money and you start investing in the right company. For example, Warren Buffet is a very successful person, however, he has not created a single product, he mainly invested in various companies and built his assets.

Sodiq

@Sikapa The simple answer to this is YES. You need to have experience or skills/knowledge before venture into any business. You just don't wake up overnight and decided to venture into business no, it's wrong and a big gamble.

I partially agree that you might not need the experience before starting your business but it all boils down to what type of business you are looking forward to. Having the needed experience and skills before starting a business has is own advantage same thing as been a total novice, but the advantages of the former is far greater when compared to the later.

However, There's a popular saying that says experience is the best teacher. Having the experience and skills needed will let you know the nitty gritty of the business your are venturing into.

Ridorz

It is not necessary to have experience before we start big-scale businesses if you have the capital to establish a company you will employ an experienced person to be a manager. but it's very compulsory to have experience before we start a business small scale business that you want to be running by yourself because there is no how you can run a business alone without having experience in the business. Though you can have a mentor that will be guiding you through the proceedings of the business.

Limivorous

It is important to gain experience before starting a business. You should have a basic knowledge about the system and strategies. It will help you run your business smoothly.

blessingc

Nobody who starts their first business has experience in starting a business, you only can have an experience of working under someone who has started a business before and his business is functioning. But starting a business for the first time is your first experience.

Starting a successful business is not always strongly related to your business experience, there are many businesses that are successful today even though the owners weren't experienced, it was their first, the knowledge and business skills they had helped them.

Having a business skill is completely different from having an experience, having experience means you have one started a business, it's not your first, so you know how to handle it.
You can handle your business by planning well and using the skill you've acquired.

Nevertheless you having an experience makes you an expert in what you do and helps you have a more successful business, although sometimes your experience might not be good enough, you still need to plan well, and implement some business techniques to make it work.

I for one haven't started mine before but I have managed a business that wasn't mine and I have a good experience in handling a business even a business with much traffic. Its a bonus for me.