Did closing of Nigeria border helped to increase agricultural production in the country

D

Deleted member 28873

The land borders were closed to goods in August 2019, with partial openings and
closings for people prompted by the coronavirus pandemic throughout 2020. President @MBuhari has directed the immediate opening of four land borders : Seme, Illela, Maigatari, and Mfun.“A number of Nigerian business leaders have been complaining about Cotonou’s attitude. They claim their trucks going to Benin are overtaxed at the border,” says a Beninese businessman with links in Nigeria. “In addition, businessman Aliko Dangote, who bought the Nigerian government’s shares in the Lafarge group, wants to sell his cement in Benin, which Talon is prohibiting.”
No surprise then that Dangote emerged as a mediator between Buhari and Benin president Patrice Talon.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
To me i do not know the meaning of Nigerian closing borders so that there will not be incoming of goods from other country in to the Nigeria.

Talking about agricultural produce since they do not provide enough farm implement to the farmer to do work and there nothing for the farmer to do their job very well definitely their will be shortage in food production in the country.

IamDozzy

Well, it is politics that is playing out here and the Benin republic businessmen want to make brisk money from these Nigerian businessmen. What needs to be done here is for the Nigerian government through the Ministry of foreign affairs to liaise with her Benin republic counterparts to reduce tax for Nigerian businessmen exporting their goods to Benin republic.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I think for me the closure of borders only brought more hardship to Nigeria and nothing else. The government are just taking bad decisions that are detrimental to the well being of the citizens and the economy. Agricultural praticises was just has it was stated. Nothing had changed. So I will say or write Capital no. Borders should be rather be open

Ekuvero

The closure of the border did more harm than good cause citizens weren't really focused on agriculture and it brought more hardship to the citizens who had to engage in other things to make money so they could make ends meet and meet their demand.
Imagine our local rice which meet the certain standard of quality in the rice production sector was repackaged in foreign rice bags so they could harness more profits making it to differentiate local Rice from foreign rice

Sammyesx

I believe that was the aim of the closure of the border but from the look of things it like the move back fired, it was not in any way effective, because the price of food stuff has increased to about 100%, and the subsequent agriculture has not increase In any way, food insecurity has is still on the high, there was not a good plan in place before the closure of the border.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
The closing of borders when the government didn't do anything to set aside and improve agricultural sector before closing down the border. For me, I'll say it brought total hardship and drought to the people. As at when the border closed hardship loomed and the citizens where lurking in the dark horses because we experienced the worst food shortages at that time. The increase of food stuffs now was carried out by the citizens when things became terrible and they ventured full-time into agriculture to produce more food items.

greatguy1

The land borders were closed to goods in August 2019, with partial openings and
closings for people prompted by the coronavirus pandemic throughout 2020. President @MBuhari has directed the immediate opening of four land borders : Seme, Illela, Maigatari, and Mfun.“A number of Nigerian business leaders have been complaining about Cotonou’s attitude. They claim their trucks going to Benin are overtaxed at the border,” says a Beninese businessman with links in Nigeria. “In addition, businessman Aliko Dangote, who bought the Nigerian government’s shares in the Lafarge group, wants to sell his cement in Benin, which Talon is prohibiting.”
No surprise then that Dangote emerged as a mediator between Buhari and Benin president Patrice Talon.
never did it. Instead, Agricultural produce got higher in price as demand outwit supply. The Nigerian farmers were not ready and overwhelmed by so much demand. Food prices shot so high above the means of the common man thus creating so many substandard farm produce. The government regretted such actions and reopened the borders gradually.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
In my opinion, I don't see any benefit of the closure of the borders. The level of agriculture and even food supply in the country has never improved. It has not increased but rather decreasing. They got the concept wrong from the beginning. They should have stocked the country with foods first before embarking on such a policy. The prices of nearly everything have gone out in the country.

Shigobad2020

Closing Nigerians border help farmers to showcase and sell their own local product but with high price, people don't normally eat local rice before but since the boarder was closed and there's nowhere to get foreign rice and the little we have is too costly, people decided to turn to local rice, and farmers now saw it as an avenue to inflate the price, Agricultural product was increased and the price skyrocket too

eojo2401

The real intentions of those that closed the borders is not to boost agricultural produce or help the majority of farmers but just to favour some section of the farmers in the North. It will shocked you to know that border were closed in the southern part of the country while foreign rice is coming to the northern part through the land borders in the north.

Teatea

The border closure help in increasing the agricultural products in the country but it did not source the problem of scarcity and the high prices of these products. The number of farmers or agribusiness is not enough to cater for the population, even the people that are willing to go into farming are faced with so many hurdles that they had to give up and the few one that succeed hoard the products and inflate the prices.