Deficiency and function of vitamin D

Hania iman

Hello friends. The best known function of vitamin D is to help regulate blood level of calcium and also phosphorous. Vitamin D increases the absorption of these minerals from intestine and their deposition in bones. Vitamin D is mainly found in fish liver oil, milk, ghee and butter etc. It is also synthesized by skin when ultraviolet radiations from the sun are used to convert a compound into vitamin D. Long term deficiency of vitamin D affects bones weaken and bow under pressure. In adults vitamin D deficiency causes osteomalacia or softening bones increasing the risk for fractures in bones. Sun is a good source of vitamin D. We should take it.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
Nice health post. I once took that, but I didn't really know the use when my doctor prescribed it until I did research.

The U.S. National Library of Medicine defines vitamin D as a vitamin that is needed to maintain strong bones. According to the Harvard School of Public Health, "when sunlight hits skin, it triggers the production of vitamin D." The only other way to obtain the vitamin is through foods including egg yolk, saltwater fish and fortified milk, but these foods don't contain enough to meet our daily requirements, nor do dietary supplements unless they're specifically formulated for higher amounts.

Vitamin D deficiency has become a worldwide epidemic. Since the contributions of vitamin D to various aspects of health (e.g., immune function, bone metabolism, and inflammation) are diverse, it is not surprising that it can affect various tissues and organs, altering the risk profiles for various diseases such as cancer, autoimmune disease, infectious disease, neurodevelopmental disease, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes.

Vitamin D plays critical roles in calcium homeostasis, bone metabolism, and mineralization as well as other biologic functions. Laboratory testing for vitamin D status has increased markedly over the last 5 years, yet awareness of appropriate interpretation of the laboratory results is insufficient.

Yusra3

VIP Contributor
Vitamin D is a nutrient that is essential for good health. It is important for the absorption of calcium and phosphorus from the diet, which are needed for the maintenance of healthy bones and teeth. Vitamin D deficiency can lead to a number of health problems, including weak bones, muscle weakness, and increased risk of falling. It can also lead to osteoporosis, a condition in which the bones become weak and brittle.