Caregiver Support Groups ~ Caregivers Need Care Too!

cmoneyspinner

We often think of the needs of the patient, but what about the long-term caregivers.

There are many people who are long-term caregivers. They either take care of a sick child, spouse, or elderly parent. Being responsible for caring for a person who can not take care of themselves puts a lot of stress on an individual.

Personally, when my husband was ill and I had to take care of him, I was in “high gear” all the time. I did not sleep well for fear I would have to wake up in the middle of the night to take care of him or rush him to the hospital. During the day I was constantly attending to his needs.

After he passed away, my body felt drained. Besides experiencing the grief and sorrow of losing him, my body lacked energy. I found it hard to get up and do anything. My daughter told me to start taking Vitamin B-12. She said that's what her doctor told her to do. I followed her advice and I must say that did help me a lot.

But what about my mental well-being? Well! That took more time and there was no vitamin for it.

Before my husband passed away, a friend told me to join a support group. After all, I did not choose to become a professional caregiver. Handling that job is a heavy load. She said caregivers should realize that they need care too.

I never did join the group. I carried the burden of responsibility on my own. However, looking back on it now, I would recommend that long-term caregivers seek out Caregiver Support Groups.

What do you think?