Can you pay bribe to get your desired job ?

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
Out of desperation especially in developing countries where there are little or no available job opportunities , a lot of people have been forced or cajoled into paying huge amount of money to be able to secure well paying jobs .
Sometimes , it will even interest you to see how a job seeker who does not have any source of income will go even the far extent of borrowing money to secure a well-paying job.

I am disturbed by the fact that people like this do not even think about borrowing money to at least start a business but would easily pay money to people who promise to give them high paying jobs .

In some instances, those who are not having the money to pay will be made to sacrifice their first six months salaries to the person who help them to secure that job .
It is indeed a very bad situation for people living in countries where people are corrupt and happenings like this are common .

As for me, I do not think I can ever pay money for this kind of thing because it is obviously not correct and doesn't speak well of you . It is better to use that same amount of money to even start a business .

What would you do in such situations?

Well, this is a case of different strokes for different folks. The world is so corrupt that a very bad thing have been normalize and everyone turns a blind eyes. but the truth remains that what is wrong is wrong. This is the most reason why we have mediocres occupying some offices and they do a very poor job of their position. You can imagine one that studied Agriculture working in a bank while accounting graduates are roaming the street with good grades looking for jobs. it is really appalling. You pay fees to study at school after graduation you still need to pay to get a job that you are qualified for. This is all shade of wrong. Well, for your question it is wrong to pay any priceto get a job but the society instigate this in the first place.

This question is a sensitive one and I know many people would come here and speak otherwise that they would not pay bribe to get their desired jobs. The thread starter made mention of starting a business rather than paying bribe to get a desired job but you should know that business is actually not for everybody and starting a business does not guarantee success in any way. Most people who pay these bribes are lobbying for government jobs because of the pension and gratuity. Honestly speaking, with the state of this our dwindling economy, it is very real that many people are still paying these bribes and so many others would still pay. No pain, no gain. It is even better to pay the money then you get the job than in cases, where people would pay the money yet they still would not get the job and their money would be gone as well.

I have not reached that stage of paying to get a job because I do not even have such money to begin with but if I do, I would definitely pay the money to get my dream job. The system is too corrupt that even with your brains and qualifications, an unqualified person would be choose over because of godfatherism. Would I continue to wallow in penury? Since I do not have a godfather, then my money should do the talking for me because if I die of hunger and depression, no one would even notice!!

NO , ACCORDING TO ME YOU SHOULD NOT GIVE BRIBE TO GET A JOB.
I UNDERSTAND TAHT SOME PEOPLE OUT OF DESPERATION OF GETTING JOB GET READY TO PAY BRIBE BUT THEN YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT YOU ELIGIBLE ENOUGH FOR THAT JIB OR NOT

Bribing to get a desired job is a norms here in my country in fact you are even going to far buy saying bribing to ge a desired job the question ought to have been bribing to get a job. You should even remove the word "desired", as people are struggling to hard to survive. We struggle to get almost everything in this country be it in education, health, agriculture, aviation industry and the likes. I could remember how we struggle to gain admission into the higher institution back then, even after beating the cut off mark the competition was too high because there was never enough space for everyone and those who have the money to bribe their way through will always do that and no one will be blamed. I will blame it largely on the failing systems and government who are not leading by example, as many if not all of them came into office by bribe and vote buying.

So people bribe their way through in almost all the sectors in this country, I remember when I wanted to prepare my international passport and on the immigration portal it cost about N15,000 but when I got the office I was told to pay N30,000, this also happened when I went for my drivers licence, I was told to pay N20,000 for something that was not more than N9,500. Now they even charge more.

Bribery and corruption is a canker worm that has eaten so deep into the fabric of the society. It gets so bad that it is present in all, I mean all sectors of the entire world and my country to be precise. I need to give this story to illustrate because at times, it is not like we would willingly give a bribe to get jobs even if it is not the desired one but situation forces us into tilting to pay the ransom. I had gained admission in a public institution to study a course and after I had paid about $70 to get my transcript processed, when the admission list was onboard, I noticed my name was being asterisked as those who had issues with their transcript but I was 100% certain I had processed the transcript earlier enough and I made sure it reached the desk of the transcript officer.

Well, I went to the office to find out where the issue must have emanated from and I was not even surprised, she demanded that I pay $30 unless my transcript would be swept under the carpet. We both knew that she had received my transcript but that was her way of exploiting. In such situation, would you say I should not source for the money or even loan it to pay or I should loose my admission? If you can answer this question, then you would know that at times, some things are above what we can handle. In such case, I would not call it bribe because if I loose my admission after reaching that stage, I would be an idiot.