General insurance Can You Insure Horses?

kayode10

VIP Contributor
I was reading a book not long ago titled a man who speak with horses. A story is told about a man who have a dream of owning hundreds of horses and established stable for those horses.

It was stated in the book that when he was in primary school, he was asked that what will be his future ambition, it doesn't waste time to say that he wanted to own horses.

The teacher was surprised by the response and quickly stated the boy that he is not serious with his education.

The boy sticks to his dream and it becomes reality over time.

So I want to ask that can someone insure a stable that has hundreds of horses against theft? Thanks in advance.

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
It's possible to do so , because I have seen most people insure poultry farm and others so there are more tendencies to insure a stable where horses are been kept , and you could insure against fire ,theft and other risk that are bound to occur as time goes on

Mika

VIP Contributor
Your animals can be insured. You can insure your pets (cats, dogs, etc.), you can insure your farm animals (cows, chickens, horses, goats, etc.). Animal insurance provides coverage for veterinary bills as well as death. By insuring your animals you can save a lot of money on veterinary bills as well as financial coverage against death.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
@Wisdom01 that's a good solution from you. To be very honest with you this is the first time I am going to hear that people are insuring their poultry. I have someone who wants to go into hide and skin exportation and he is planning to have a stable that will host hundreds of horses. I am going to convince him to engage in insurance for the horse that he will have peace of mind over the horses in the stables.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
There are some insurance companies that do provide insurance policy for animals because just like humans, animals are also prone to theft and even been killed. But to be frank, I would have preferred intensive way of raising animals rather than insuring them because I think that is cheaper than insurance.

Mandy96

Valued Contributor
In my little knowledge about insurance, I think has the chance to insure a horse under three types of insurance policies. You can buy a liability, property or animal insurance plan, these are the types i could think of right now. But I really wish I could explain more just don’t have the chance

btaliat

VIP Contributor
In my little knowledge about insurance, I think has the chance to insure a horse under three types of insurance policies. You can buy a liability, property or animal insurance plan, these are the types i could think of right now. But I really wish I could explain more just don’t have the chance
What what you listed it is even easy to probably deduce what each will stand for. The only things I don't get is the first one which classifies the horse as a liability. I have been thinking it should be an asset rather than a liability because many rear horse for money most of the time.

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
@Wisdom01 that's a good solution from you. To be very honest with you this is the first time I am going to hear that people are insuring their poultry. I have someone who wants to go into hide and skin exportation and he is planning to have a stable that will host hundreds of horses. I am going to convince him to engage in insurance for the horse that he will have peace of mind over the horses in the stables.
Yeah and when insuring ,he should pick a better insurance company with cheap premium cover that he would be paying annually or monthly depending on the person financial capacity , so you could convince him but make sure it's more about choosing the right insurance company too , to cover the risk

Jamoflondon

Verified member
Of course, one should be able to insure horses, as a matter of fact there are different ways or types of insurance policy plan that could be bought for cases like that. They can be tagged as properties and they can also be used as a source of income so these should give some ideas

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
Of course, one should be able to insure horses, as a matter of fact there are different ways or types of insurance policy plan that could be bought for cases like that. They can be tagged as properties and they can also be used as a source of income so these should give some ideas
Yeah they are probably asset to the company ,since if been sold they could be easily converted into cash , many insurance company would even want to allow insuring something like that ,after knowing the gains they will get from insuring the farm animals , so it's very possible in different perspective too

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
My wife is from a family that is involved in the horse racing industry. Her father was a topnotch horse trainer and she has 3 brothers who are jockeys. With the insurance of the horses, only the champion horses are accepted by insurance companies. That means not any horse can be insured. The insurance company will evaluate the value of the horse for the amount of the policy.