Basic Things needed for livestock feeds manufacturing business

Augusta

VIP Contributor
One area of business in the Agricultural sector that's booming now is livestock feeding production. If you are able to get it right with the business then you would be in money.

You would need to do the following

Get your formula: right

You need to get the mixture for the feeds right as the combination for chicken feeds is different from that of catfish,you need to always come up with the right formula.

Know and get the right Ingredients:

You need to purchase the right ingredients for your production.
This will depend on the feeds you want to produce.

Get the right.Equipment:
These are the equipment you would need to start a full animal feed production There are Pellets, Mixers Grinders, Elevators, wet and dry,Weighing scales Wet/dry, , cooker, freezer, crumblier etc.

Have the knowledge of Packaging:
Have different sizes of your feeds Give customers various sizes to choose from and stick with what you are known for.

Marketing:
Learn how to market your products
to have your products sold repeatedly.

Etini

Valued Contributor
I am an animal nutritionist. As much as I appreciate your post, I would state that the livestock feed business is not a kind of business you can start small. It won't work if you don't have bogus capital. I tried formulating feed at a small scale and I have to confess that I ran at a complete loss.

If there is any business where economies of large-scale production play out beautifully, it is the livestock feed business. The big boys have money to order inputs in thousands of tons and they get huge discounts while you struggling to order 10 tons can't even get any discount. Another advantage they enjoy is that they can never run out of inputs. There are times when they are scarcity of inputs. But a big company won't lack it. They can afford to go to say a farm planting corn and buy the whole 20 hectares leaving nothing for the small players.