3 Top mistakes to avoid making in a workplace

Augusta

VIP Contributor
There are always a lot going on in the work place and you have to be careful when dealing with colleagues. You don't have to use your hands to invite issues and problems from others. As such they are some mistakes you should avoid to make to prevent creating tension for yourself and others in the workplace.

These mistakes include;

1. incessantly reporting: Always resist to report your colleagues indiscriminately. Doing this means you are attracting unnecessary attention to yourself and you wouldn't like the outcome obviously

2. Don't Gossip; You would be doing yourself a disservice if you indulge in work place gossip. Don't be the last person to hear about something good happening in the work place because you are a known gossip. Gossiping means you don't want others telling you things.

3. Don't spy on others: You would be hated for this when found. You don't want to be a loner in a workplace right? then avoid the urge to spy on others so that you can have information whether good or bad about them.

Add yours

Abigael

Valued Contributor
These are very good points on what to avoid while interacting with your colleagues in a workplace. Indeed these mistakes can make you live a hell of you don't avoid them. Others include how you interact with your authorities and even customers.

For instance, you need to avoid talking back rudely to your supervisor or manager. If they are correcting you on something you have done wrong like coming to work late, just nod and ask for forgiveness. Being rude will only lead to you being fired.

You can also come across some very rude customers. Especially in jobs where you directly interact with them. You need to learn to talk to them politely to avoid creating scenes and dramas that could cause you more trouble.

Your own personal behavior should be great too. Avoid thinks like stealing, gossipping, grooming poorly and being disorganized. That way, you will be respected by everyone you interact with just at first impression.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I don't think anyone can go wrong with being polite to even disrespectful people. You can't just reciprocate with bad vibes because others are giving bad or negative energy. This is like getting others blind because you were made blind then everyone will be groping in darkness. Then we all lose.

The thing is that try and give good energy in the workplace. If you can't give anything good then it is better to leave it at that than leaving things in disarray. Like it is always stated if you can't leave people more than you met them then don't leave them worse. Just leave them how they were

The truth is that people are already dealing with so much you don't need to add more stress to what they are passing through already.
Try and make the work place as healthy as possible for the next person. You wouldn't die doing that

Mango9

Yes when you get a work the best thing to do is to mind your own business and importantly avoid gossip because people you gossip with might go behind your back and expose everything you said about a person or your boss, and avoid using your colleagues to gain favor from your boss

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Exactly, some people just have very shitty behavior and they extend it even to the workplace They just want to cause commotion and problems where there's supposed to be none. i look at some people and I think do they just love to be controversial and do they really enjoy it.

It is always funny how people all want peace but they live contradictory to the life they want. how do you stay formenting trouble In the workplace but what you need is peace. Can this even be possible because a lot of times we get the energy we put out. This is why a lot of trouble makers get only what they put out which is trouble.

So even in the workplace we need to exude peace and get peace in return. Whatever you would need to get in return you would need to put is out. You gossip others be ready to get gossips in returns.

Rubz

When working as an employee in a workplace, it is necessary one avoids making certain mistakes. An employee should maintain a good relat with the employer and other workers in the workplace to ensure a good working condition. An employee shouldn't be one that picks fights with other workers, instead he or she should be an advocate of peace in that workplace.

Carpon

Valued Contributor
I think lack of socializing may be a mistake. A lot of persons go into a company and will decide to stay rigid and not flexible with fellow workers in the work place. It is a very bad character and if you define it as seriousness others see it as pride and arrogance.

Also lack of commitment to work which may be in form of non punctuality and late coming among others. It could also come as not being serious when tasks are given to you to handle. All these are traits that are encapsulated in lack of commitment and these can easily throw you out of any firm you work with.

Furthermore, the way you carry yourself and your dressing sense also should be taken into consideration. For some organisation and firms, they have dressing code for its members. It is very important that you abide by it as failure to do so has a big potential of throwing you out of the place you work.

Also avoid being a busy body. That has to do with including your self in matters and affairs that have nothing to do with you. When you are needed, you contribute your best and if not try as much as possible to avoid getting into it without being invited.

King bell

VIP Contributor
In addition to yours, here are the top three mistakes people make in a workplace.

#1 Not taking initiative: Don’t try to be part of the office furniture, or you’ll miss opportunities for advancement. The worst thing that can happen is that somebody else is promoted ahead of you! And if their performance falls short, the logical conclusion will be that they were promoted too early.
#2 Not being a team player: We know it sounds counter-intuitive to say this, but there are plenty of situations where being overly cooperative can cost you your job (think about all those co-workers who only take care of their own agenda). The challenge is that you don’t want to be too confrontational or aggressive, either.
#3 Being the office gossip: While it’s natural to discuss company “news” with your colleagues, you need to make sure that your comments are taken in the right spirit. If you sound too critical of your employer, you may get in trouble when it comes time for a job review. However, if you are perceived as a parrot (who repeats what they hear), then people will also lose respect for you.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Lolz, this sounds funny. But this is very important because so many people may be guilty of any of those three things in one way or the other. Normally reporting your business colleagues to the manager or the business management might leads to hatred and unnecessary jealousy which can easily lead to problem if proper care is not taken . Try as much as possible to avoid reporting things and only allowed the business management to find out those things and take the necessary action. With this it will save you the stress of getting into trouble with anyone..

When you are being employed into a particular business organisation , the most important thing you have to do is just to focus on your jobs and responsibility and the main purpose for which you were brought into the business. Don't try to stretch your heads to look into something that does not concern you.

Etini

Valued Contributor
I don't seem to get how people would leave their defined job description to do something else. So someone can just turn to the police in the workplace. Spying on other workers is very bad and can land you in trouble.

The gang-up would be massive and out can only fight so far. I believe every member of any workforce should see themselves as part of a family working together to achieve a particular goal. In so doing, many of the conflicts in the workplace would be avoided. I have a personal commitment to always leaving a positive mark on everyone I meet, including where I work. That is why you will never find me engaging in those practices listed in the original post. I stand for peace with all men.