3 Factors You Need To Consider Before Buying Things Online

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Buying things is something that we all do. We are living times where things are bought online because we are currently living in a digital age. Around 15 years ago, very few people used to shop online. there are many factors you need to consider before buying things online.

Reliability Of The Platform

You must need to realize how reliable the platform is. There have been cases of online shopping scams where the customer pays for a product, but he never gets the products. So, make sure that you purchase goods from a reliable online store and check the ratings of that store.

Avoid Phishing

Phishing refers to the act of stealing information of a person by using fake website and e-mail marketing techniques. Many websites look similar to the original website and many people fall prey to such scamming techniques. you must make sure to check the URL of the website again and again in order to make sure that the website is the correct one.

Personal Information

Never provide any kind of personal information to any kind of platform. Never share any kind of sensitive information with the employees of any online store, even if they ask you for it. Many people make the mistake of sharing such kind of information and end up losing money.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Well nowadays buying of things online is becoming more rampant and because of this a lot of platsforms online are not really trusted to a point of buying things with your card with them , That is why it is important for us to be very careful about most of the platform we are using .

Although I do not shope but whenever I am interested to do so I will try to make sure I use the most popular platform because those are the only platform that are trusted , in Nigeria I would likely make use of jumia but if I am considering an international website AliExpress is trusted enough for people to buy something there directly with your card without having to worry about the consequences .

But for now I don't really have interest to buy most of my electronics online because I don't really see the need and sometimes most of the product you will be buying online they will ask you to wait for days before it is being delivered to your location which to me I do not really have time for that, for now I prefer to get most of my things offline .

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
I quite agree with you on your listed steps to take to aviod been decieved or misled when buying things online. Honestly online transactions has now become the new normal in almost every segment of the economy today. And many people even prefer to pay online rather than paying offline as it becomes less stressful when you make the payment online than when you paying offline.

I have used the online and method countless number of times and I truly appreciate the technology behind the online system mostl for the convenience and flexible. Yes it is truly that many also has a sad tale to tell about the online system as they have lost monies through making payment online. And this happens most times because they must have allowed a third party to have their details licked out to a wrong fellow who is trying to use it against you. So it is always advisable not to issue out your pin or password to anyone or using all those sensitive details on any unverified platforms.

That is how those scammers alway get people's banking details they advertise those things that they know would attract alot of people, so one must verify any offer you see before applying for it.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
In today’s time, there is a drastic increase in e-commerce business. However, you cannot just make purchases from any website. There are certain factors that you need to consider before buying things online. Here are some of them:

Make sure the website is secured.

There are many websites that will ask for your credit card details and other personal information. It is important to make sure that the website is secured. For example, if you want to purchase a painting from an art gallery, make sure that their website has SSL certificate installed on it. This means that it uses safe encryption technology and protects your sensitive data from hackers and other cybercriminals.

Check out the return policy of the website

There might be times when you do not like the product or service that you purchased online. In such cases, it is necessary to check out the return policy of the online store or company first before buying things online. You should never buy something if they do not have a hassle-free return policy. The best ones offer free returns, but there are some that might charge you a shipping fee for it. You can also check out their reviews to know more about their return policy so you will know what to expect when the time comes that you will need.

Caramelle

When buying online from e-commerce sites, I choose shops that offer COD terms. That way, I never have to give bank or card information that can be used in fraudulent transactions by people who may be able to gain access to those sensitive data. Before deciding on the store and the product, I usually read through the reviews, average ratings, and the number of buyers. Other shoppers' experiences with the product and the store are important because we don't get the chance to try the items before paying for them. We can only return them and this process is often tedious. While online shopping has become popular, there are items that I would never want to buy online. Those items include electronics that are usually expensive. I would prefer to try those products before paying for them.​

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Personally, I look out for reviews of the site from forums I don't believe on the reviews that are written online on Google because I know that some people will just pay people on freelancing sites that write positive things about their selling sites which might not be true. So you might just be dealing with a scam site unknowingly. Again, I try to make sure that my method payment mostly is pay on delivery. I always like to assess what I am buying before making payments. I don't want story that touch after paying for an order. I'm more confident with my purchase that way.

blessingc

Online business has been a very good way of boosting business productivity these days, alot of companies, or entrepreneurs now moved their business online so they can get more customers and more patronage. Just as the genuine one are making it online, so are fraudulent individuals getting into the online trends too. They take photos of products they don't have, create flexes of services they don't provide, do the jobs of affliates and advertise their ghost businesses, get to deceive alot of people and get money.

Before buying a product online or requesting a service one should be conscious to know that he or she can fall into wrong hands. You need to be careful and make research about such a website if it is legit or not. To avoid falling into the hand of these fraud stars check the person’s identity through other social media accounts if he/she exists.

Product reviews are not always perfect as an absolute source for product knowledge because in some cases some positive reviews are actually sponsored or manipulated to influence buyers.

Purchasing online will always be risky due to we usually unable to verify the quality of the items. Therefore, having the knowledge if there would be a refund will be a great point to consider if the items won’t be the same as expected.

Holicent

VIP Contributor
There are a lot of things to consider when buying things online. The consumer needs to consider the quality of the product, the company's reputation, and if it's environmentally friendly.

Some people think that buying things online is a good way to get cheaper goods, but this is not necessarily true. Cheap goods often have cheap construction, and they will not last as long as higher quality items. This can cause an individual to buy things more often than needed and spend money on repairs, replacements, or even a new item. Think about how you plan to use the product before purchasing it and make sure it is something that fits your lifestyle.

You need to also consider things like these before buying a product online.
-Price
-Availability
-Shipping fees
-Customer service
-Brand loyalty