3 Businesses that might likely not work in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Etini

Valued Contributor
I am an African, a west African at that. Our way of life is just unique. And that affects the kind of things we spend money on. Some businesses that thrive in the western world would most likely struggle in west Africa. Below are some of them

1) Massage Parlour: In my place, people can spend their hard-earned money to go lie down for someone just to massage them. If we feel we so much need a massage, we use our partners and family members.

2) Flower Shops: In the western world, flowers are big deals. People are wowed by flower gifts. Here, flowers don't move us. If you want to be selling flowers, forget it. Only churches and decorators would patronize you.

3) Therapy: Unless you are a sex therapist before you can succeed. Other forms of therapy won't just work. We are hardly depressed. If by chance, we are disturbed over something, we get free therapy from our parents and pastors.

Carpon

Valued Contributor
Yeah sure. You know Western life is way different from ours here and the things that are much valued and thrive in such regions and parts of the world won't have the same kind of acceptance here.

But talking about therapy I will like to say that many Nigerians are actually depressed. It is just that people in these regions of Africa do not really see the effectiveness of taking such kind of therapy to cure that and moreover, most Africans live in a very social environment and therapy can be given or gotten from friends and as you have mentioned, clergymen also go a long way to substitute the need for secular therapists since Africans are strict adherer's to religion and so will value the support and advise gotten from religious leaders.

But I think with time, these businesses may also gain acceptance as people evolve to accept more of the western way of life in Africa.