Career or Job?

R

rome0623

We all need work to earn a living and that's a reality! But do we consider our work a career or merely a job that needs to be done for financial sustainability?

Jobs are considered obligation since it is done only for monetary purpose. Careers are chosen field and done with a purpose other than monetary consideration.

How about you? Do you consider your work a job or career?

Jelineex

I think job or career doesn't matter. It is a commitment needs to be done. It is a responsibility. You choose and work with your career/job because you expect something from it. You are happy and you earn from it. My only concern is the attitude towards work. Your ability to comply your task with sincerity and integrity will define your outlook in work.

Corzhens

I agree with Jelineex that it doesn't matter as long as you earn good and that you enjoy the work. My university degree is Industrial Engineering and I thought my career is in factories, plants and other industrial companies but I was hired by a bank. After more than 30 years of working in a bank, I'd say that I consider myself to be successful in my job in the IT department. The pay is good and my retirement is secured.

At a typical job, your goal is usually just to get the task done and not annoy the boss. All you really want from a job is a regular paycheck and a positive reference from the boss, and all you have to do to get that done is to get your tasks done and stay out of the way. In a career, however, your goal is to not only get the task done, but it’s also to learn skills, gain experiences, build connections, and put yourself in position for promotions, raises, and possibly similar positions in other organizations. That’s a lot more than just getting the task done, and that means putting your ear to the grindstone.