You should never accept to be a marketing officer at a bank

Ummigal

I called on my cousin working in a bank one day. She looked and sounded very worried. When I asked her what the problem was, she replied that it was quite serious. She told me she was expected to reach a particular " target" in bringing new customers for the her bank.
I then asked her what would happen if she failed to meet the said target. And she replied that she might be laid off soon. I was really shocked and honestly felt sorry for her.
I have come across alot of young bank marketers in her shoes afterwards. It really amazes me how marketers raise such funds for banking institutions that don't even care or consider their welfare or even appreciate their efforts. I would rather prefer to be self-employed or be a saleswoman and make even one sale per year since I would be developing my my business skills than to be a marketer at a bank.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I think you are generalizing things because this scenerio might just be for some countries especially African countries that unemployment is the order of the day. I don't think this same things play out in saner climes but where the laws doesn't work you would see this kind of sick way of making workers work under duress.Any how we want to look at this, I think this is a lie way of trying to make employees be productive because it can leads to desperation moves.

Taking a look at your narration of your cousin, now if this is a female worker that want to throw caution to the wind and want to do all that it takes to get these targets this might leads to severe consequences. if it is about sleeping with some customers to get this target it would be done and in the process a once peaceful home might be broken on the process.

So in essence what I'm going on about is that this kind of job attitude by employers should stop because when this problem is tackled from the root this way, every other good thing will follow as well. Marketing bank job isn't bad but it is how some countries practice it.

Haypril

It is easier to analyze the reasons of rejection of such offer. Bit in a country like Nigeria, you will be glad you were given such opportunity to work as a marketer with the organization. Though the stress and time involved might be a major off for this kind of job but because of the rate of unemployment in the country, the individual will be left with no other choice than to happily accept the job.

Kabak95

Typically marketing opportunities are open to graduates from any degree discipline. However, a degree or postgraduate qualification in a subject such as marketing, economics, business, statistics or sociology may be beneficial or preferred by employers. Marketing job has advantages and disadvantages but the rate of unemployment in the country pushes people in to any kind of work.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
Hmmm.... Some times its look hard for those that where not trained to be a market before but may be because of one reason or the other now find them self there.
Its an Interesting moment for those who had been trained for it.Though the matter of target given to them by marketing manager use to be much and disturbing.
Mostly what push many people in to marketing is unemployment in the country. So care need to be taken before chosen career.

Carson20t

Wait a minute here,marketing and promotion is one of the most lucrative sector in a business entity.When you want to advertise or promote products and services You will need alot of tools specifically for that purposes.It can only fail if you have not been given enough tools which include information education communication which you will need supporting stuff,Visual aids that are nicely branded,banners and billboards,inviting celebrities and big financial experts to partner with you.

So basically if you tailer your action plan very way then you will likely achieve and as long as you are heavily funded to do your project.

Victor001

The fact is only those in the business knows what their passing through,it will seems all rosy when you are viewing from the customer ends, but I can tell you those that enjoy banking work are those upstairs. But it's difficult to just leave a job when there is no certainty or assurance,focus will always be on the money every month end,which you won't get immediately leaving the job.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
My nephew was hired by the 3rd biggest bank here in the branch office. He was having a good job when he moved to another bank as a marketing officer. I was against that move but he reasoned the bigger salary and the higher position. After a few months that he was not able to get a big client then he was forced to resign. Until now he remains jobless for 1 year already.

Setho

VIP Contributor
This is actually a very or wrong thing on the side of the bank to be given such targets that are very difficult to meet. Marketing in any bank is not supposed to be the job of slowly one person because it is actually very difficult. This is why it is normally outsourced too many people.