What's Your Thoughts On Transportation Business?

Kendy

Verified member
Although most of us uses one means of transportation or the other. It could be through; cars, trains, tricycles. Transportation business is one profitable business in this part of my country. No matter the hike or cost in fuel price, the transportation business cannot face decline because the price of transportation would be increased. Most people in my country are into this line of business and even the female gender are changing the narrative in this line of business. This line of business has been so productive especially when you are handling it yourself. If the business is operated by the owner of the vehicle, it would be more profitable because he would know how to handle it properly and curb the excesses. This business always have its demerits too most especially when it is operated by a third-party.

Most people who operate the business for another person do not take care of the vehicle as if it were theirs. It therefore becomes unprofitable to the main owner due to excessive spending to repair the vehicle and to also pay the rider. I have been thinking of this line of business for a long time now but my problem is that, I am undermining the fact that I cannot operate it because I am female but I would not like to your the road. Finding a trustworthy person is the problem. What's your opinion about this business?

Rachael

Verified member
I think this line of business is profitable just like the thread starter has posited but as all know, there is no business which is devoid of challenges and it own risks. The transportation business is actually not for the faint-hearted because the same way it is profitable, is the same way it is risky. Both drivers and transporters are at risk in this line of business and these days, it has been used to cause more havoc in the society. Drivers are at risks of being robbed by dubious passengers and at times, they might even have to compromise just so their lives could be spared.

The high cost of fuel or diesel does not really have an effect when it comes to transportation business. In my geographical region, when once the price of fuel is hiked, the transport fare would automatically increase and the effect would be borne by the passengers not the drivers. From time past, this line of business has existed in various forms and it is undergoing positive changes by the day. Presently, this line of business is being operated by both the male gender and the female gender as there is no bias. In this line of business, it is more profitable if the transporting vehicle is owned by a company or operated by the owner of the vehicle.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
It depend on the persor that want to do the business . some times if the can manage the business very well at least one can go for the loan if the business really require much capital to start.

There us no meaning for some body that do not know how to do business should not go for loan at all because its possible for such a person latter run at loss and the business may fail.
If some one can not manage the business very or do not have capability to take up loan then the person can start from little.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Transportation business is a lucrative business but this will be determined by the location you are interested to set it up , establishing this business in a high populated city will give you a high return profits than starting it up in a location that is not really populated or industrious.

At the same time the business may be risky because of so many things in most regions especially here in Africa. One of the most challenging factors of transportation business here in Africa is the high rates of insecurities which make some location unsuitable for transportation as you can easily be exposed to kidnappers and bandit.

My only suggestion is that anyone who is really interested to start of this business should try as much as possible to obey rules and regulation and avoid location that could expose their lives to dangers . All these things must be put into consideration.

I believe if everything is being done perfectly you can still be able to engage in transportation business in a server location and probably in the town where there are large number of people who are interested in your service. A driver at the same time should not attempt to drink and drive.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
It's true that so many made money and are still making money through transportation business. Well, i wilI use Nigeria as case study. If you are talking about transportations business just llike Ubar, i think there is much hope of success. But if you are talking about mass transits that run on a far distance , like interstate transportation? I will rather invest on land or housing business.

Considering some factors in Nigeria, let's assume you are so rich, you bought two healthy hummer buses at the rate of 25 million naira each, you are expected to run this business for roughly a year and 6months to get back your capital, and this is without uncertainties.

Consider a case your vehicle involved in accident, a fatal one at that, or your car got stolen or confiscated. Aside from these occurrences, you will have to pay your driver huge amount as wages, maintenance of the car, what if he is not trust worthy, what if he uses the vehicle roughly and for personal use, what if he runs off with it?

So many disadvantages, the troubles on highway. i feeI those who go into this business are those who are so determined, 'cus you need time to make that success. The next people are probably the politicians who are very rich and have connections in case of any trouble.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Transportation business to me is a lucrative business just like food business because a lot of people are not mobile but they must get out for their different businesses. the truth is that we can't do without getting to our different destination on time so you need to board a vehicle.

if one wants to get the best out of a transportation business, then it will better to start doing it by one self You would make far more money than when you employ someone to do the business. So unless you have another business that is fetching you more money than this one then you can use another person but if not doing it by self will be lucrative.

The thing is to get a new vehicle to start the business, so that by the time this one start giving you huge problems that will make you visit the mechanics daily you would have had money for a new one.

Shaf

Verified member
My husband runs a transportation business as a side hustle and I've seen the good and bad sides of it. I would say it's worth it if gotten right, but the other side of it can make someone run for the hills fast.

While it's especially lucrative, it can have a similar budget especially if the vehicle you use is not new. Sometimes, the returns made for each day go back into repairs.

Another issue, probably the most difficult one, is getting an honest driver to operate the vehicle if you are not doing it yourself. Most of them are out to enrich themselves and would do so at the expense of having a heathy and functioning vehicle. If you find someone that is good, don't let the person go.

Another point is that you should ensure its not your only source of income. The vehicle may need repairs that will take time, and you don't want to be stranded in those periods.