What next! If you loose your job.

Mellorando

Banned
I want to start by saying that it is painful and don't tend to lose your job especially true when it’s unexpected and not your fault. It’s emotional and traumatic to be laid off, and even worse to be fired. You’re out of work, you’re out of a paycheck, and you will lose the bond you have with your co-workers because it won’t ever really be the same again even though you’ll promise to stay in touch. It’s painful.
Give yourself some time to mourn a bit, especially if you loved your job. It’s a loss, and giving yourself some time and space to grieve will help. Then you need to get practical and get over it. The quicker you get a job search up and running, the faster you’ll be thinking about your new job instead of the one you lost. Here’s what to do next.

1. File for unemployment.
If you lose your job through no fault of your own, you should be eligible for unemployment. Depending on the circumstances, you may be eligible even if you were fired. Here’s what you need to know about filing for unemployment.

2. Check on health insurance options.
Check with your manager or your Human Resources department on options for continuing health insurance coverage or investigate options for getting a new policy to cover you while you’re out of work.

3. Figure out what to do with your retirement plan.
What happens to your retirement plan varies on the type of plan you have. Here’s information on what happens to your pension plan and what happens to a person when you leave your job.

4. Work on a personal budget.
Your unemployment check is going to be less than your paycheck, so think about how you can save some money. It’s also going to last for a much shorter time because many states have cut back the number of weeks of unemployment they provide.

5. Sign up for 30 Days to a New Job.
If finances are an issue, and they are for many unemployed workers, you are going to need to hustle a bit. Get the 30 Days to a New Job program online. It will help you stay motivated and keep your job search on track.

7. Google yourself.
Search for your name on Google to see what potential employers are going to view when they check you out. Make sure everything that comes up in the search results is appropriate. The “grandma rule” applies here. You don’t want hiring managers or recruiters to see anything that you wouldn’t want your grandmother to see.

9. Clean up your social media accounts.
Your social media pages are probably going to be on the list of what shows up when you search for yourself. Be sure that all your posts are fit for the public to see. If not, clean them up and adjust your privacy settings. On the flip side, it’s important to have a solid social presence for many jobs, so be sure you’re making the best impression.

D

Deleted member 28127

Social media work and network is a temporary work means it could be full-time job but at an advanced level after gathering the full experience required to promote pages or buy or sell pages.

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
it can be very devestating when one loses a job mostly at a time one less expect. It can be a very terrible experience. Because sometimes get to something to fall back to can be very difficult. But when one is faced with such challenge it is better to quickly pick one self and start up another search for a new job. One must quickly braceup with the challenge and make a very quick decisions to start a new job or start a new trade. Then in a case where the person involved is broke it will be better to attach one self to a friend that is in need of a partner to run abusiness Together and one can be a passive partner in terms of financial support.

Or one can source for funds and start up a business as fast as possible to avoid been idle. This will help to boost ones morale.

E

eldavis

Most of these things you mentioned are not done here, here in my location, when a person looses his job, be it for one reason or another, they simply go out in search for another or some get depressed for a period of time then later on try to pick back themselves, while some would end up starting up a small business of their own if they are not able to find a job for themselves again. Most of us here do not have things like health insurance and the likes.

Caramelle

I guess we are fortunate that our social security system now covers up to two months of unemployment benefits provided that the unemployed have paid the contributions for the past six months. Back in the day when our company decided to close its business, we received our final pay soon enough and that was it. I didn't allow my sentiments to take over. I immediately applied for a new job and was lucky enough to be hired on the interview date itself. I was under pressure to find a job ASAP because I'm the breadwinner and I cannot afford to be idle indefinitely.​