What is an Affiliate Program?

hmelboss

What is an Affiliate Program?

Simply put, an affiliate program is an agreement in which a business pays another business or influencer ("the affiliate") a commission for sending traffic and/or sales their way.
This can be achieved through web content, social media, or product integration. The affiliate gets a unique link (an "affiliate link") from which clicks can be tracked -- typically using cookies.
You will often come across the terms "cookie length" or "cookie life", which simply define how long the cookie will be tracking the user's online activity.
For example, if a cookie has a 30-day life, your referral needs to make a purchase within 30-days of clicking your affiliate link in order for you to get paid -- otherwise, the lead will no longer be trackable.
A B2B audience can be particularly valuable since they are the same customers who are willing to drop hundreds of dollars for a product or service that will help them make money. How could you not capitalize on that?
Of course, there are different types of affiliate programs, and you'll want to ensure you pick the one best suited for your business. Let's dive into types of affiliate programs, next.

Jonaville

Nice and educative piece, can't wait to read the next one. To say the truth, I have interest in this affiliate marketing at first, but I was discouraged by the negative comments of people who have been doing it. They claimed that it will be very hard for someone just starting out to succeed in it. How true is this?

Chibson

VIP Contributor
Affiliate programs are programs in which individuals that have product give it to other people to promote for a certain percentage. When you make a sale some percentage of the selling price will be allocated to you. one beautiful thing about it is that you do not need to create your own product to make money.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
Affiliate program is a kind of program in which you promote other people's products to earn a commission. Affiliate program is a win-win business strategy for whoever get involved. The product owner make money effortlessly when they are feel it are promoting their products also earn commission for their efforts.

Dora Wi

Nice and educative piece, can't wait to read the next one. To say the truth, I have interest in this affiliate marketing at first, but I was discouraged by the negative comments of people who have been doing it. They claimed that it will be very hard for someone just starting out to succeed in it. How true is this?
It's probably harder to find affiliates if your business is new, because people might trust you less or think you don't have as much exposure (yet). Still, it might be possible to find someone in the same league as yourself with whom you can make a deal. Aside from that, I think affiliate marketing is a great option after you have already built a solid business that has some good reputation.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
it is possible for someone to make money as an affiliate but you must follow a proven strategy. It can only be difficult when you are trying to figure things out by yourself. It might be a bit hard to come across genuine expert affiliate marketer who will teach you how the business works. But when you come across one you must be ready to pay whatever it takes to learn from them.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
I love your use of words while explaining. You made it easier for even a newbie to understand what you said. Affiliate marketing needs no introduction when it comes to make money online. We only need to know how it works before venturing into it in order to earn more in it.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
Affiliate marketing is one of the easy way to make money online provided you have an expert in guiding you through the process. It can also be very hard when you want to try and figure things out by yourself. one thing about affiliate marketing is that you don't need to deal with the customers before you make your money.

Last edited:

mord

Affiliate Marketing: It is a marketing system based on the exchange of benefits between the owner of the good, service or offer on the one hand, and the publisher or commission marketer on the other hand.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
Affiliate marketing gives you the opportunity to make money by promoting other peoples' products. You make commission for every sales you generate through your affiliate offer. You can make money with affiliate marketing using different methods. There are some people who make money from affiliate marketing through paid adverts.