The need for lab test before a surgery

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I am being scheduled for the removal of a cyst under my right ear next week. This coming Friday I am required to undergo lab test, x-ray, ct-scan and ecg for the heart. There are so many tests that I really think is not necessary. But the doctor said it is the protocol and SOP (standard) of the hospital otherwise they will not allow the surgeon to proceed with the operation without the good results of the said tests. Last year when I was scheduled for the operation I already underwent such tests and I was happy that the results are good including my blood sugar.

However, there was one test that was taken on the night before the surgery. It was the checking of the electrolyte. By the way, I would undergo general anesthesia so they are strict with the requirements,. The patient should be physically fit. On the morning of the scheduled surgery the surgeon informed me that the sodium in my body was very low. It was like I was dehydrated. If the surgery would proceed the anesthesiologist said that there is a possibility that I would not wake up anymore. Oh gee, that was scary. The surgery was postponed that time.