General insurance The National Health Insurance Scheme Introduction

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
Health Insurance is a social system that guarantees on the payment of token contributions at regular intervals.

The National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) is a corporate body established under Act by the Federal Government of Nigeria of Nigeria to improve the health of all Nigerians at an affordable cost.

National Health Insurance Scheme is not a proper insurances firm that covers risk like motor insurance policy, Burglary and Theft, fire insurance, but it is an establishment by government on all employers on their employees to provide for their medical expenses.

THE NEED FOR THE SCHEME
The establishment of the scheme was informed by:
(I) The general poor state of the nation's health care services

(ii) The excessive dependence and pressure on government provided health facilities.

(iii) Dwindling (gradually diminish in size) funding of health care in the face of rising cost.

(iv) poor integration of Private health facilities in the nation's health care delivery system.

Mandy96

Valued Contributor
The national health insurance scheme is a very great organization created by the Nigerian government. It does a lot by regulating it. It gives some kind of smooth transactions between the insurer and the insured. If this agency does not exist. Some terms will be taken which might inconvenient the clients

btaliat

VIP Contributor
This is one of the laudable acts by the federal government. This is necessary because it provides for the welfarism of the workers at cheaper rate even if not for free. Not all workers can afford applying for health insurance from a private insurance company hence they need this scheme.

Jamoflondon

Verified member
I think as an individual aspiring to get any of the health insurance, one should find a way to learn about the national health insurance scheme because it will really help a lot so as not to get the wrong impression about it. Being a client of the insurer I think one should know the functions of the NHIS

btaliat

VIP Contributor
I just discovered that some private organizations also do this kind of insurance. They make sure they insure the health of their workers and may be some of their children too but not all. May be like one or two. I just hope organization including government takes the health of the workers too serious.