The lure of working abroad

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
In our country it is common for a family to have a child who works abroad. From the lowly domestic helper up to professionals such as doctors they are all scattered around the world to earn dollars that will uplift their family's life. They are called OFW to mean Overseas Filipino Worker. I am posting this topic to know if in your country you also have lots of workers who are going abroad for a bigger income.

I have tried my hand in the US when I was in my 30s. The pay was good and very high compared to the standards in our country for a computer programmer. With an unlimited overtime pay I was earning more than $1,000 a month which was big money during that time. But loneliness defeated me that after 7 months I decided to come back home even if my future is bleak with no job to go back to. That got me thinking that working abroad is really good for the finances. As long as you can handle your emotional issues then you can earn good money for the benefit of your family. There are many OFWs that I know who have been abroad for more than 20 years and I think they have already adjusted to the loneliness.

E

eldavis

People leaving their home countries to other foreign countries in search for greener pastures has become a very common issue here in my country, but it's not as easy as most persons see it. Like you said, most times the pay might actually be pretty good but then you have to deal with emotional issues like loneliness and the likes, another issue most of them pass through there is dealing with the weather change, the eating habits and in most cases not all are lucky to secure a good paying job, which means most of them have to go through more stress over there again.

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
I quite understand your reasons for leaving the United States, as you claimed was as a result of loneliness, but this pop another question in my mind, like were there no people living around your neighbourhood or your fellow country men in the United state where you can meet up and catch up on with things happening back home. Although I know there is a saying that goes thus; that there is no place like home, and I strongly agree with that statement. But when it comes to moving abroad I know there are certainly somany things that will inform such a decision, like moving there for studies, or for vacations or probably for employment purposes. And whatever thr reason may be to the individual that wants to move there is always best known to them.

From my own personal stand point if we all that are struggling here in my country of over 200 million people can get the chance to run away from our country we will gladly do so without looking backwards because the situation here is terrible. Mostly if you are educate you may even suffer more. This is a country where medical doctors, nurses and other professionals are moving out from in droves. As a result of our failed government. Our systems here has failed totally.

moonchild

VIP Contributor
The working abroad mantra has been existing for a long time and people from my country participate in it and it's favorable to must that went there to work, by working abroad a minimum wage earner in his home country will make 2x or even 3x of his current pay, which is really enticing and on the case of emotional downturn, as a foreign worker you need to adapt to the environment and in no time you'll blend in.

In this era, one doesn't need to physically travel you can work for remote companies all over the world and get paid in hard currency also, so for those that have families in their home country can opt for remote work so that they'll be able to have time for their family.

Most of these working opportunities are available for IT workers because they're in demand globally at the moment.