Six Reasons You Shouldn't be a Call Centre Agent

Jasz

VIP Contributor
Telemarketers, or call center agents, are people who are hired to work in a large office setting, and make phone calls to potential customers all day long.
Although working as a call center agent lets you work from home, it can be very challenging to make money.You'll be expected to cold-call people who are probably very busy and don't want to talk to you.

Let's look at some of the disadvantages:

Low or No Payment
You'll also have to worry about not being paid for all your calls if your employer doesn't use call logging software. Not only will you lose money, but you could also end up paying taxes on money you didn't even receive.

Risk of Being Scammed
Telemarketers are at risk of being scammed by employees of other companies that sell similar products or services. This may sound far-fetched, but think about it: if someone working for the competition can trick you into taking the day off, they may be able to trick you out of your paycheck!

There is a lot of Competition.
Not only are you competing with other telemarketers for the same sales, you're also competing against popular TV shows and social media that may distract the customers you're calling.

You Will Face a lot of Rejections.
As much as people don't like to talk on the phone, they also don't like being sold over the phone. It can take a while to get used to this rejection and know how to deal with it effectively.

Diabetes
Diabetes is one of the main problems that affect telemarketers. Because the job requires sitting down for several hours at a time, it is easy to develop diabetes from gaining weight, especially if you are not eating healthy snacks and meals throughout the day. If you want to avoid this problem, try standing up during your breaks instead of sitting down. Also, consider taking a walk during your lunch break or doing some yoga during your workday.

It can Cause Depression
if you do not have an upbeat attitude towards life and people in general. The constant rejection from potential customers can get frustrating after awhile, and it may seem like everyone hates you by the end of each shift. To combat this problem, find ways to enjoy yourself while at work such as listening to music or playing card games with coworkers during breaks. You

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Well, I have worked as a call center agent for a local company in my country. I was unemployed and desperately seeking a job. Even though I NEVER wanted to be a call center agent, I had no choice but to opt for that job. I will never ever choose such kind of horrible job ever in my life again. The pay was so low )around $100 per month and I had to work for straight seven hours a day. They only used to provide a break of 30 minutes and those 30 minutes used to pass quickly. Moreover, the agents in the call center used to get abused horribly by the customers.

This caused A LOT of depression. I was in a really horrible state at that time and I had to face a lots of pressure from the employers at that time because the employers and mangers were very rude and disrespectful. They were never satisfied with the performance of the employees. I also believe that majority of the call centers are conducting unethical business as well and this is why they even scam their won employees many times. I would never ever recommend such kind of job. I was really in bad conditions and this is why I chose that job. Otherwise, I would have never done that ever.

Last edited:

sincerem

VIP Contributor
@Good-Guy, do you mean that the job was paying you $1,000 monthly for 7 hours daily job and you quit? No matter how tedious the job can be, lots of people will be interested in such kind of job to make money and satisfy their needs. I know it is quite stressful and embarrassing especially after so many rejection. But if the pay rate is reasonable enough many wouldn't mind spending even 12 hours daily and doing the job. Money is hard this days, to the extent they're just accepting dirty job in order to make ends meet for themselves and taking care of their bills. Even though I never worked in any field of service before via offline, it will be hard for me to reject the call center job with such kind of hefty Psy rate which you mentioned here.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
@Good-Guy, do you mean that the job was paying you $1,000 monthly for 7 hours daily job and you quit? No matter how tedious the job can be, lots of people will be interested in such kind of job to make money and satisfy their needs. I know it is quite stressful and embarrassing especially after so many rejection. But if the pay rate is reasonable enough many wouldn't mind spending even 12 hours daily and doing the job. Money is hard this days, to the extent they're just accepting dirty job in order to make ends meet for themselves and taking care of their bills. Even though I never worked in any field of service before via offline, it will be hard for me to reject the call center job with such kind of hefty Psy rate which you mentioned here.

Oh! I am sorry. I accidentally added an extra zero to the figure. They paid me just $100 per month, not $1,000 per month. No call center in my country pays up to $1,000 per month. Any such kind of call center that claims to pay that much amount of money is a scam. I also forgot to mention that majority of the people working there were 14 to 25 years old only. I was the oldest person who worked there. No person at the similar age as that of mine works at such place because I am 30 years old and at this age people usually make around $200 to $300 ore more each month.

A few people at my age do work for low paying jobs, but it is an exception in case they have no other option but to work for such kind of jobs that pay a low amount of money to their employees. having said that, I have left that place a long time ago in the month of April last year. this means it has been over one year since I worked there and I do not plan to go back there again at all.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Oh! I am sorry. I accidentally added an extra zero to the figure. They paid me just $100 per month, not $1,000 per month. No call center in my country pays up to $1,000 per month. Any such kind of call center that claims to pay that much amount of money is a scam. I also forgot to mention that majority of the people working there were 14 to 25 years old only. I was the oldest person who worked there. No person at the similar age as that of mine works at such place because I am 30 years old and at this age people usually make around $200 to $300 ore more each month.

A few people at my age do work for low paying jobs, but it is an exception in case they have no other option but to work for such kind of jobs that pay a low amount of money to their employees. having said that, I have left that place a long time ago in the month of April last year. this means it has been over one year since I worked there and I do not plan to go back there again at all.
I got you well now, I mused when I saw $1,000 mentioned as salary. I said to myself, what the hell are you saying, because $1k will serve a good purpose anyone receiving that amount as an average man before will definitely be pleased, because the money will add up well making him ends meet no doubt. I've been online for two years now, I'm no where near such amount of money. Even when I'm working close to 12 hours daily online. I know call center job is a bit tedious, and the reward isn't high, that's why I took upon myself to write to you if the amount you mentioned were truly from a call centre company or another different job you misquoted.