Should we encourage street trading

sunnystar

Street trading has now become a common feature of most of our towns and cities. One notices swarms of people of various shapes, sizes and age groups along the streets of these towns and cities bombarding motorists and aggressively seeking buyers for their wares. There is hardly anything that is not available for sale among these street traders.
Why have people suddenly resorted to street trading ? The reasons are not far to seek
Many of those involved in street trading claim that they do not have money to rent stalls or shops where they can display their wares for sale. They claim that the various bodies or individuals who let out stalls or shops demand exorbitant charges which they cannot afford. They therefore take to the streets where they do not have to pay anything at all .
Another group claim that even though they can afford to pay the exorbitant charges , and they do pay , to rent stalls or shops, they are not making the anticipated sales to make them break even. They claim that it is more profitable to sell their articles along the streets. They also resort to the streets where they can make brisk business and realize a lot of money.
There is yet another group. This group comprises children, teenagers and youths. These children, teenagers and youths who ought to have been in school have had to resort to street trading because their parents, as a result of economic hardship, can no longer provide their daily needs at home and in school. These ones have the full backing of their parents to engage in street trading. Infact the proceeds of the street trading are used in sustaining their families.b
But then is the game worth the candle? My answer is in the negative. Street trading poses a lot of dangers.
In an effort to sell just a sachet of pure water, a young lady had to run very fast after a vehicle, unmindful of another fast moving vehicle coming from the opposite direction. What happened? She was knocked down and she died instantly! That of course is a common occurrence.

Abigael

Valued Contributor
Street trading is so common in most towns in my country. Even when municipal laws were strict against hawking, they still found their way to street trading. Those reasons you have mentioned are the same ones that street traders give. Some of the reasons that I recommend for it to be banned include.

1. There are hygiene issues associated with street trading. Especially when they are selling edible goods. That makes it so easy for food borne diseases like cholera and diarrhea to spread.
  2. Some of the items sold are not legitimate. You know when a business is run under a stall with proper registration, you can trust what they are selling. But street goods sometimes are stolen and sold to innocent buyers.
  3. Child labour is rampant with street trading. Like you mentioned in the thread, some children leave school to be street vendors. Such parents should be taken action on for using their children that way.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I will never encourage this thing of street selling or trading because I know the dangers that comes with it.

A lot's of people that do street trading don't know they are only putting themselves at risk or in harm's way to be crushed by oncoming vehicles.

I have seen an accident happen before because of kids selling on the street and some kids being crush to death instantly and funny enough what they had on their head to sell more don't even worth it.

I don't know what some parent think by giving a child wares that is not even up to 500 naira but puts the child at a very high risk of selling on the street I think street selling or trading should be abolished or totally banned so that you people that have something to sell will get into the market at the stores to sell them this way the risk of being crushed by a vehicle will reduce.

Ithedicious

Valued Contributor
Sometimes this is always beyond our control , me I don't have any problem if I am on a taxi and I see what interest me I will just buy it because at least I am in demands of that thing at that particular period of time and sometimes it is even easier for people because they could easily get most of the things they need such as snacks in the street without much problem.

Even if we have to discourage Street trading , there is no how we will completely eliminate it except the government are willing to do so . I believe it is the responsibility of the government to assess the situation and determine if this should be allowed or not . An ordinary man may not have anything to do and there is no how you can resist if you see anything on the street that interest you.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
it can still be done if the government want to do it. The thing is that street trading or selling is very risky so it is one avenue that a lot of person kill themselves so there is no way it will be good that we overlook it or the government do nothing about it.

Yes I know it is always easy to grab anything you want from a nearby Sellers especially those that are in the traffic you can be in your car and you buy loads of things but does that make it right? the answer is always No.

So it has to be eradicated the fact is that a thing always have two sides the good and the bad sides. Now the bad side of Street trading outweigh the good side so it means that the good sides has been overwhelmed by the bad side so it should be banned.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Street trading is very common in my country. In fact, there are a lots of educated people who are into this kind of trading. They invest some money and then they start selling stuff.

1) Selling Food Products

Well, many people might be concerned about hygienic issues as many people have pointed out. However, despite all that, many street traders are making a really huge amount of money selling various kinds of items related to food. They make around $10 per day quite easily if they have an established business. There are many people who also sell fruits as well and earn a handsome amount of money as well. Some people sell Shawarma and burgers as well.

2) Selling Other Kind Of Items

You do not need to sell food items, despite the fact that food items are considered one of the most lucrative items to sell. You can also sell other kind of non-edible items as well such as perfumes, shoes, underwear, garments, etc. The street traders tend to sell such kind of items at a much lower price as compared to a shop owner. I have bought many garments from such kind of shops and the price was considerably low.

Johnson2468

Valued Contributor
A lot of people go into street trading due to lack of capital to run the business they are really interested in effectively and the exorbitant price placed on shops by shop owners especially in strategic places across cities and towns contribute to it.

Despite the reasons of people going into street trading, I will say it should not be encouraged at all because of the hazard attached to it is really disastrous and can lead to an event that will leave a bad memory for the family and the person involved.

So it is better to search for money to start up the business in a reasonable way, even if it is small now, with time the business will grow into an amazing one once the right factors to have a successful business is put in place

King bell

VIP Contributor
Street trading has been an integral part of many cities and towns around the world for centuries. While it is often associated with hustle and bustle, it can also bring a vibrancy to an area and provide economic opportunities for those who might not otherwise have them.

However, it can also bring a range of challenges for local authorities, such as overcrowding, traffic congestion, and public health and safety issues.

So, should we encourage street trading?

The answer to this question depends on a range of factors. On the one hand, street trading can provide a valuable source of income for those who might not otherwise have the means to make a living. It can also help to animate a city or town, and provide a sense of community.

On the other hand, street trading can lead to safety concerns, as well as environmental and aesthetic issues. It can also lead to the displacement of local businesses and a decrease in footfall in certain areas.

Ultimately, it is important to strike a balance between the benefits and drawbacks of street trading. If done correctly, it can be a great asset to a community. Local authorities should work with traders, shop owners and the public to ensure that street trading is conducted in a safe and responsible manner. This could include setting up designated areas for street trading, or providing guidance on the types of goods that can be sold.

While street trading can bring both benefits and challenges, it is important to consider the positive impact it can have on communities. With the right measures in place, it can be a great way to help those in need and breathe life into a city or town.

Axis

Banned
Street trading are mostly engaged by impoverished individuals of the economy and most of the times there include children's and widows who possibly are homeless and possibly living on the streets to survive. And you too how life may have lead them, they possibly find opportunities to hawk and sell goods and services on the street in order to make minimal profit. Many individuals usually get most of their needs and wants satisfied and comfortable from individual selling goods and services on the street, but despite the fact that there was an advantage to this, there is also a whole lot of disadvantage we need to take note and consider.

Individuals carrying out hawking and street business, are prone to road accidents as running after vehicles and motor cars is definitely part of their trade description. And also individuals carrying out Street trading are more likely to become victims and subject to kidnappers and rapist as majority of street traders are children, girls, and widows. Street trading can also be another channel for a large member of the population to be derailed socially and patriotically, as many of them including children and young adults become influenced by streetlife there by growing up to be arm robbers, miscreants, hoodlums, pickpockets, and other crime indulgers.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
All these things we are seeing here is as a result of failed and irresponsible government of our country . In some advanced country everything is standard and you wouldn't see this sort of things in their street.

In as much as trading on the street is not encouraged by me , it is also the responsibilities of the government to take over the whole thing and prevent people from trading in the street. It is not just about direct banning of these people , the government should look for opportunities to create employment for them these coming out to sell on the street is as a result of the fact that they do not have a good source of employment.

It is dangerous . Sometimes it could lead to accident and sometimes it may even lead to loss of life. And the funny thing is that children are also sent out to trade in the street.

sunnystar

Street trading is so common in most towns in my country. Even when municipal laws were strict against hawking, they still found their way to street trading. Those reasons you have mentioned are the same ones that street traders give. Some of the reasons that I recommend for it to be banned include.

1. There are hygiene issues associated with street trading. Especially when they are selling edible goods. That makes it so easy for food borne diseases like cholera and diarrhea to spread.
  2. Some of the items sold are not legitimate. You know when a business is run under a stall with proper registration, you can trust what they are selling. But street goods sometimes are stolen and sold to innocent buyers.
  3. Child labour is rampant with street trading. Like you mentioned in the thread, some children leave school to be street vendors. Such parents should be taken action on for using their children that way.
You have analyzed the causes of banning street trading well. I could remember what happened at one village in my country wherein there was an outbreak of cholera and almost the half of the village fell victims. Newscaster within the state took it on air and the state government intervened so they were all recovered from this disease. However this makes me to fear people that involves in street trading.

sunnystar

I will never encourage this thing of street selling or trading because I know the dangers that comes with it.

A lot's of people that do street trading don't know they are only putting themselves at risk or in harm's way to be crushed by oncoming vehicles.

I have seen an accident happen before because of kids selling on the street and some kids being crush to death instantly and funny enough what they had on their head to sell more don't even worth it.

I don't know what some parent think by giving a child wares that is not even up to 500 naira but puts the child at a very high risk of selling on the street I think street selling or trading should be abolished or totally banned so that you people that have something to sell will get into the market at the stores to sell them this way the risk of being crushed by a vehicle will reduce.
Uh, this is terrible and pitiful. There's need for government to regulate this method of street trading. Life is not repairable when it is lost nothing can be done again. Also there is nothing that can replace life. Government needs to be considerate to citizens because there roles and responsibilities are to cater and protect for their citizens.
I suggest government should build public market at affordable price to run their business and ban people from street trading.

sunnystar

Sometimes this is always beyond our control , me I don't have any problem if I am on a taxi and I see what interest me I will just buy it because at least I am in demands of that thing at that particular period of time and sometimes it is even easier for people because they could easily get most of the things they need such as snacks in the street without much problem.

Even if we have to discourage Street trading , there is no how we will completely eliminate it except the government are willing to do so . I believe it is the responsibility of the government to assess the situation and determine if this should be allowed or not . An ordinary man may not have anything to do and there is no how you can resist if you see anything on the street that interest you.
Though it helps people to get snacks and other items very easier but dangerous for these people. The effect is more than the advantages it does so there's need to prevent this method so as to save the life of people in the nation.
I can say the government fails to give good standard of living to their citizens and this makes these people to be desperate to sell on street.