Should there be families in business?

Kennysplash

Verified member
This question has always bothered business people. It even causes fight sometimes within the family. An uncle of mine is into cloth retailing business. All types of outfit like t shirts, jeans, suits, native wears and many more. Sometimes his family, even extended family will visit him in his shop and cunningly start picking some outfits. But he doesn't want to talk because they are family members. But it is getting out of hand, whenever he brings new ones they will soon show up at his shop and start picking. What do you think? He can't continue like this, his business in on danger. Secondly, if you want to do something for a member of the family that is different, than using your business to do father Christmas. He doesn't want to lose his family, and he doesn't want to lose his business. But i am afraid he has to release one, family members that have your best interest at heart will not do that at all. He really needs advice.

This question has always bothered business people. It even causes fight sometimes within the family. An uncle of mine is into cloth retailing business. All types of outfit like t shirts, jeans, suits, native wears and many more. Sometimes his family, even extended family will visit him in his shop and cunningly start picking some outfits. But he doesn't want to talk because they are family members. But it is getting out of hand, whenever he brings new ones they will soon show up at his shop and start picking. What do you think? He can't continue like this, his business in on danger. Secondly, if you want to do something for a member of the family that is different, than using your business to do father Christmas. He doesn't want to lose his family, and he doesn't want to lose his business. But i am afraid he has to release one, family members that have your best interest at heart will not do that at all. He really needs advice.
Every business man should set the boundaries between family and business. He should not allow his family get in the way of his business and his business get in the way of his family.

This is an issue that is affecting almost all families. The entitlement mentality. They think that they can pick things as they like without paying simply because the store owner is family. How long will it go on before the business is ruined?
People need to stop doing this and start showing consideration for the family members business. When they go outside, they pay, so why is it hard to do same with family?

It is not good for a business to involved family because there is limit you can control them and in business there is something they called business entity concept which state clearly that a business is different from it's owner which mean business is separate from the owner and his family.

I guess this problem depends on the culture. In our family I have seen such actuation of taking advantage from a business of a relative but not much as to jeopardize the business. When my grandmother had rented a movie house I would watch a movie with my classmates for free, of course. If that situation is getting out of hand then perhaps you can do the Chinese way. Even the owner who eats in his own restaurant will pay the bill. I saw that for myself. Mr. Gokongwei, one of the richest here was eating in his own restaurant situated in his own building. But he paid the bill with his credit card. That means no one in the family can eat for free.

While in some cases,it is good for families to engage in business together, however caution must be exercised otherwise this will in a long run lead to disagreement and end up in the court. As a lawyer, I always advice for there to be an agreement as this will spell out in clear terms their duties, obligations, sharing formula etc.

If you wish you can partner and work together with your family members. It depends on your dream, not everyone finds it going with partnership business. But a family type business is quite different from other partnership business, cos you do it together with the family you understand and know everyone's in and out. I prefer helping grow a business with my beloved family and still have my own personal business to look out for. Because family Business type is quite different from the business you partnered with your fellow co_worker, a friend that you don't know too well about. Because disagreements that goes beyond control might result out, but in family partnership type issues come and go and family business stands. Unless the head of the family business is deceased that's when conflict results if the head didn't "Will' who to take over when he's gone.

The fact is that when it comes to a situation whereby the success of a business is in great danger due to the activities of some family members , then it is ideal that the owner of the business takes measures ,to secure his business ,even if it means sacking all his family members in the business.

There is no need to put emotions in a business, because it will surely destroy the progress of the business. Most times people employ family members in their business for the sake of helping them earn a living ,but most times these family members end up tarnishing the image of the business with their attitudes. It is right when these things happen ,that the owner of the business secures his business by sacking all those involved without emotions attached.

When it comes to business where you can employ your family member to be among you employee then it's good but when it's about them coming to loot away what you selling then that's not a good thing infact that kind of idea is bad because at the end of the day if his business stop functioning today and he ends up staying home then those same family members will be the one calling him lazy that he ate up all his business capital and some other names. The best thing is to be strict with them, if he doesn't want to loose them let him talk to them that he doesn't like what they are doing by taking his goods and if they are people with actual sense then they will understand but if they don't want to let him just stop them from coming to visit him at the store. You can always please people even if they are family members. Unless he is ready to close down he should continue to let them pick his goods and not talk till business runs down.

Well, that would be really tough for your uncle. However, he needs to decide something otherwise things will get worse.

In my opinion( and it is strictly my personal opinion) your uncle should talk to them straight forward, it doesn't matter whether they like it or not (I know it's difficult) but it is the only solution. I think your uncle's family members will sooner or later understand this and cooperate.

And I hope my suggestion will help!