Should money be spent on critically ill family members?

Etini

Valued Contributor
Before you start calling me insensitive for asking that question, I have seen so many families in my country that were financially comfortable being rendered completely broke because they spent all they had on medical bills for family member that was critically sick. The irony is that most of the times, the sick family member eventually dies. This has killed the wealth potential of so many young people in my African society. Maybe, other parts of the world too.

But the family remains broke having exhausted all their funds trying to save the family person from dying.

Do you think that with such a family member that the chances of survival is very low, they should just be allowed to die rather than spend so much money and the person still dies at the end. What's your take on this?

Fidelia1

When you talk about Ill family members, are you referring to the young or the old folks? I believe emphasis should be placed on the category of family members who are sick. I think the younger ones should be given an opportunity to live and fulfill purpose while the older folks must fund for their Ill health and ensure that they had a health insurance plan prior before their seasoned health challenge. Furthermore, to wrap up my point, I'm of the opinion that money should not be spent on sick family members but an appropriate plan like health insurance should be done to curb that phase when need arises.

Etini

Valued Contributor
When you talk about Ill family members, are you referring to the young or the old folks? I believe emphasis should be placed on the category of family members who are sick. I think the younger ones should be given an opportunity to live and fulfill purpose while the older folks must fund for their Ill health and ensure that they had a health insurance plan prior before their seasoned health challenge. Furthermore, to wrap up my point, I'm of the opinion that money should not be spent on sick family members but an appropriate plan like health insurance should be done to curb that phase when need arises.
I would have to agree with you on certain points. Everyone should get an health insurance plan for phases like this to avoid putting their family members under intense financial strain. This particular issue has rendered so many families into complete brokenness.

And when it is clear that an elderly person might not make it to live again, I think everyone should just prepare for the person's departure rather than having to spend money here and there hanging on to just hope. I am talking about an average struggling family. For a very wealthy family, they can try everything to see if the person would survive.

Leah Kelvin

Deciding on whether to spend money on treating critically sick family members is a decision that is both personal and intricate. Some of the things to be considered are: the severity of the illness, the probability of recovering from it, financial ability and effect it will have on the general wellbeing of family. It has no distinct answer in its entirety.