Should I keep my Business when I get a Government Job

Carpon

Valued Contributor
As a business person, you may get a government job and this question comes to mind in such a condition. Should I drop my business because I got a government job?

A Frank answer I will give to this question is no. Infact some people will do rather the opposite i.e let go of their government job when they secure a business of their own

Businesses are more dependable than government jobs but nevertheless the decision is yours to make.
If your newly acquired Job is such that consumes a lot of your time, you may rather than let go of the business completely, hire a worker who will handle it for you when you are absent.

This will become a passive income source for you and this will help boost your earning as you will get dividend from your business and your work also pays you.
The idea of keeping the business is because you won't solely depend on your salary because your business stays active.

Holicent

VIP Contributor
The answer to this question depends on a few things. First, how long your business has been in existence and how successful it is. If it's been around for over five years, you might want to consider selling it. Second, how much money you need to live on each month. If you need $500 per month just for basic expenses and have no savings left after that, then it makes sense to keep your business so long as it's still bringing in some income. Finally, what kind of risks do you take with your business? If you're doing something dangerous or risky, then selling the business might be a good idea because it will protect you from lawsuits or other legal problems at work.

The best thing about getting a government job is that you have an opportunity to make a lot of money. It's also good because it will give you different skills and experiences that you can use in your future career. But the downside is that you don't have much freedom.

You cannot choose what project to work on, when to start working, or how many hours per day (or week) to work. Your boss may even ask you to do things that are against your principles or morals.

If you are planning on doing business with the government, then it's best if you keep your business as it gives you more freedom and flexibility in terms of time management and working style.