Should a boss teach an apprentice everything?

Etini

Valued Contributor
It is often said that while learning a trade, you should go figure out things by yourself. I understand that we humans by default are competitive in nature. So when a person subscribes to be an apprentice to a master, the master tends to show and teach the apprentice the part he/ she wants him to learn. The master doesn't show the apprentice everything. Reason being that by him showing the apprentice everything, the apprentice might end up dragging customers with him in the long run. Is this a good career practice?

After my schooling, I went to intern in a farm. The owner of the farm specifically asked me the location I intended to site my farm. That he can't teach someone that would site his business close to him and take his customers away. Even at that, he didn't let me enter the farm with him when he wanted to do vaccinations. In had to learn that from YouTube. The question is, "why are bosses insecure in teaching apprentices"? Is it right to hide some things from your apprentice so he would not be better than you?