Recommendations and referrals still work

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
In our business culture the referral and recommendation can give the applicant a passport in getting a good job. To be honest, I have to admit that my uncle who works in a big commercial bank had given me a recommendation to another commercial bank. He is friends with the manager. In fairness to me, I got a high grade in the exams of the bank so that the manager instantly offered me the position of computer programmer trainee on the strength of my training in IBM.

Even in this digital age I know that emails are sent to the company as a referral for an applicant. This is not to say that you need a recommendation or referral because you can still be hired if you have the qualifications. But a recommendation usually works like magic for the applicant.

Mika

VIP Contributor
One of the reasons why fresh graduates never find work is because they do not have referrals or recommendations. Since they have never worked, they have no one to recommend them, and there is no one to recommend them, the employer will never hire them. It was really hard for me to get my first job, but the second job came easily because I had recommendations.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
In our business culture the referral and recommendation can give the applicant a passport in getting a good job. To be honest, I have to admit that my uncle who works in a big commercial bank had given me a recommendation to another commercial bank. He is friends with the manager. In fairness to me, I got a high grade in the exams of the bank so that the manager instantly offered me the position of computer programmer trainee on the strength of my training in IBM.

Even in this digital age I know that emails are sent to the company as a referral for an applicant. This is not to say that you need a recommendation or referral because you can still be hired if you have the qualifications. But a recommendation usually works like magic for the applicant.
From your title I will say yes, it still does work even till now. I have seen a lot of people in my circles get good jobs in my circles because of recommendations. If you have a good referral even to a posh job you can get it. So connection is very important.

Abigael

Valued Contributor
Recommendations and referrals do work really well when applying for a job. The hiring manager will be convinced by the confidence that another person has in you. These days when applying for jobs, I always see one of the requirements is a recommendation letter from someone you have worked with or who knows you well professionally.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
This days recommendations through mail message is the best than the old and outdated recommendation letter in a print out. For you to be hired as a computer expert to help trainees or those getting to know about programming is worthwhile, cos not everyone gets such privilege in the company they are working for, only the talented are entitled for that.