Reasons why movies and TV shows need to stop showing actors drinking and smoking

Mika

VIP Contributor
There are more than 400 compounds in cigarettes that are damaging to us, for example, tar, a cancer-causing substance; nicotine, an addictive substance that prompts cholesterol levels to rise; and Carbon monoxide, a gas that reduces the oxygen level in the body.

Just like cigarettes, alcohol also has many harmful effects on the body and some of the main harms caused by alcohol are reduction of grey matter in the brain (which helps in cognitive thinking); and liver damage.

I know the harmful effects of alcohol and tobacco. Therefore, I do not drink or smoke. However, every time I see Lucifer (the central character in the TV show Lucifer) smoke or drink, I feel like trying myself. I am an adult, therefore, I can control myself, but does a teen have self restrain? Definitely not. That’s why teen smoking is alarming in every country.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
It is very important that one is very careful about the type of movie that children will be watching especially those at the age bellow 18years. Though if it were adult that is watching some of this movies they will know how to control them self but the children do not know how to control themselves and its not advisable for those bellow the age of 18years to be watching such a movies.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I believe first and foremost parents have a role to play here first because a child that want to try that will be caught by the parent and that can be nip in the bud as early enough. Talking about it being put away in movies might be very difficult

btaliat

VIP Contributor
I love watching bollywood films. Most of the time when some scenes especially the ones showing where actors are drinking or smoking, are shown in bollywood films, they do write warning underneath it telling people the dangers of such an act and people should desist from taking neither of the two because of their health.

There are more than 400 compounds in cigarettes that are damaging to us, for example, tar, a cancer-causing substance; nicotine, an addictive substance that prompts cholesterol levels to rise; and Carbon monoxide, a gas that reduces the oxygen level in the body.

Just like cigarettes, alcohol also has many harmful effects on the body and some of the main harms caused by alcohol are reduction of grey matter in the brain (which helps in cognitive thinking); and liver damage.

I know the harmful effects of alcohol and tobacco. Therefore, I do not drink or smoke. However, every time I see Lucifer (the central character in the TV show Lucifer) smoke or drink, I feel like trying myself. I am an adult, therefore, I can control myself, but does a teen have self restrain? Definitely not. That’s why teen smoking is alarming in every country.
Most films are censored and regulated before being shown either in the theater or home videos. There is always age limit to each film and the ones that are dangerous will require the adult to only watch them. They believe those films are to preach against such an act and not to promote it. That's why it is not very common to see the protagonist of a film engaging in such an act.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
In the Philippines there is a restriction on the showing of tv commercials of cigarettes and liquor. It is not allowed to show a person smoking or drinking liquor. The psychologists say that there is a big effect on the young minds when they see an actor smoking or drinking. It is like a subliminal suggestion on their minds.

Yugocean

Valued Contributor
In India, already it is prohibited to show actors smoking, although this rule implement on Bollywood movies and not all movie Industries. About drinking alcohol, it will take time, but in many movies now even villains are showing thinking tea instead (even if the actor is smoker and drunkyard in real life).

Mika

VIP Contributor
Whether anyone has watched Indian movies like KGF and Kabir Singh, however, these movies are trying to glorify smoking and drinking. They are trying to glorify manhood with smoking and driking. This is very dangerous pheomena as the young minds can be easily tricked into thinking that this is the way they should act.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
Alcohol related ads have already been banned on popular media like radio and tv. But we can still see alcohol ads on newspapers. I think this should also be banned. Movies also need to stop showing actors smoking, especially the protagonist because teens will be easily influenced by their favorite actors.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
I don't think we will be able to prevent that although it can lead to some people being a drunkard but people should not follow what movies are doing ,they should just understand what is good for themselves .I have seen a lot of movies that involve smoking but that does not really make me a smoker and also I have also seen a lot of movies that involve drinking , that does not make me to start drinking alcohol... It depends on an individual and we should not follow anybody to do anything that will be dangerous to our body system.

anil02

Verified member
Smoking is common habit of peoples. Some time when some other members of family is smoking or chewing tobacco that other member of family also start it. It is well known that smoking and drinking bother are harmful for health. In these every scene of TV where some one is smoking or drinking it have disclaimer that it is harm full for health but I think no one care about it. Indeed smoking and drinking is an addition so it is not easy to quite it. Government is charging highest taxes on it and it is one of principal source of earning of government so they don't want to banned these production. If government will do it peoples will start it production and that will more harmful.

Yugocean

Valued Contributor
Thankfully in my family nobody smokes, so there is no passive smoker either. Recently in a movie 83, made on India's 83 world cup victory, the Director Kabir Khan did not hesitate to show all wrong information as per his guess, but one extra he was showing legendary cricketer Krishmchari Srikanth as chain smoker who smoked in every possible scene, this was also a way to glorify smoking.
I don't know if Srikanth is smoker or not, but I never found him smoking in front of Camera. Even Mohinder Amarnath, who played his father Lala Amarnath was smoking in his only scene.

Yet Kabir Khan's show was passed uncanseored, which was surprised, why censor board did not cut even smoking scenes?