Make Saving a Priority

raaman

Valued Contributor
Does the topic of saving make you feel a little guilty? You mean well when it comes to saving money, but something always comes up. The car needs new tires, or the teenager needs orthodontics.

You tell yourself that you will find ways to save money when you reach a certain milestone, like when you reach a certain age or get that pay raise you want so much.

However, in reality, you will start saving money only when you learn healthy money habits and make your future needs more important than your current wants - that is, when you make saving a priority.

I am lucky to have developed the habit of saving when I was in grade school. The best advantage for me during that time when our family was hard up with the finances was that I would have money to buy what I want. Candy was rare and chocolate was a luxury that I can afford when I would crack open my piggy bank. When I was in high school I started saving in a bank that allowed children to have their own bank account. It was a nice experience because I was not only encouraged but inspired to save more. Until now I still save money in empty biscuit cans.

Saving money is not an easy thing to do, but it's very important that we try as much as possible to save no matter how small. Although some of us have huge responsibilities and lots of bills to pay that most times our earnings are hardly enough to take care of the bills.

Some of us are actually underemployed, and our salaries are so small that it can't even be enough to take care of our needs. In this case what we need to do is either we find a way to increase our earnings (like adding online jobs to the offline job) so we can be able to save, or find a way to reduce our expenses in order to save.