Is there any harm exposing my crypto currency address on public platforms?

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
When it comes to Fiat currencies, you can easily lose your money when you give out sensitive details like your card details, bank verification number and other details. Scammers seem to have some technology that helps them get rid of people's hard earned currencies and it seems to be getting out of hand. The scammers are coming up with new tactics that if you ain't careful, you can easily lose your money despite taking all precautionary measures.

I do not know if it is same for crypto currencies. Is there any harm in me giving out my crypto currency wallet address on some public spaces, maybe there is a crypto currency give away and I decide to drop my wallet?
Can someone use it to scam me?

I think there is no issue dropping your wallet address , what you should not do is dropping your wallet password because that is what hackers are really waiting for so that they could get your account hacked easily and all your funds would be wiped away , so i think you should be more careful when doing so and i have been dropping my wallet adreess on different page in case been asked and i haven't have any issues

With cryptocurrency , it is not really the same ,because one needs to bypass many security measures before he or she can be able to hack into your account .

However , it is not quite advisable or encourage for one to expose his or her public cryptocurrency address in public , this is because one can use the address on etherscan.io and it will show all your ethereum based coins and token . Although this may not really be a danger , but for a hacker , it might be a sort of motivation to try see if he can access the wallet. As such one needs to carefully avoid exposing the wallet when there is no need for that.

Wallet like trust wallet allows users to change their Bitcoin wallet address up to three times when they feel that there is a need.

Posting your cryptocurrency address is harmful and not harmful both at same time.
Not harmful - These address are random, and can be generated new too, unless you delete old address, you'll keep receiving any amount that send to the address.
Harmful - Scammers will know that is your address, if you use that address to get paid in public, then they will know you are receiving cryptos and will try to hack/lure/blackmail you.
You can post your address, but remember, private key must not be shared.

There is no problem in posting your wallet adress, afterall, you have to do that so that the crypto currency can be sent to you. However, you need to still be discreet about it. Send the address privately to whoever asked for it, dropping it anyhow in public can be tricky, so always try to go private.

With cryptocurrency , it is not really the same ,because one needs to bypass many security measures before he or she can be able to hack into your account .

However , it is not quite advisable or encourage for one to expose his or her public cryptocurrency address in public , this is because one can use the address on etherscan.io and it will show all your ethereum based coins and token . Although this may not really be a danger , but for a hacker , it might be a sort of motivation to try see if he can access the wallet. As such one needs to carefully avoid exposing the wallet when there is no need for that.

Wallet like trust wallet allows users to change their Bitcoin wallet address up to three times when they feel that there is a need.
Now I understand better, I never knew it was going to be possible for one's crypto transactions to be monitored using some tools. While trying to receive my payment from a forum I worked on, the technical administrator told me that I should not be using same address to receive all my payments. This is to avoid giving scammers a clue of the fact that I may be having some coins in my wallet and they would start making attempts to get at my wallet and steal all my hard earned coins.

I am sure going to start taking precautions so that I don't get to fall a victim.

When it comes to Fiat currencies, you can easily lose your money when you give out sensitive details like your card details, bank verification number and other details. Scammers seem to have some technology that helps them get rid of people's hard earned currencies and it seems to be getting out of hand. The scammers are coming up with new tactics that if you ain't careful, you can easily lose your money despite taking all precautionary measures.

I do not know if it is same for crypto currencies. Is there any harm in me giving out my crypto currency wallet address on some public spaces, maybe there is a crypto currency give away and I decide to drop my wallet?
Can someone use it to scam me?
I don't think so because Cryptocurrency wallet address is not a means by which one can get scammed. It's not like a bank credit card details that people can use it to scam you. A lot of websites that receive payment in fiat currency publicly post their wallet address and they don't get scammed through that. So I think it's not so.