Is it right to empliy someone older than you?

Etini

Valued Contributor
I live in a clime where respect and reverence for elders are deeply rooted in our culture. It becomes a sharp contrast though when you are a manager over someone that is older than you. It is a dilemma sort of. You have to agree with me that it would be difficult to discharge your work as a manager with an elderly person as your subordinate.

Most employers don't even want to employ people that are older than them because they might not be able to manage them. The sentiments of respect for elders would creep in and this can render management toothless.

I won't want to employ someone whom I can address on a first-name basis. What do you think? Is it an easy thing to manage someone older than you? Would you employ someone older than you? How can you manage someone older than you in order not to violate the culture of respect for elders?

I see no issues here to be honest,it all boils down on if you the employer respect yourself and same goes to the employee. Personally I see nothing wrong with employing someone who is older than me. The said person is looking for a job right? To sustain his or herself,to feed and pay bills,the money is more important than choosing or rejecting jobs cos your employer is younger than you do,or not choosing the best person for your business or company,just because the person is older.

To me,it is easy and I have seen people who did it and on a personal basis,I will surely employ someone who is older than I am,so far the person is ready for the job and it's the best candidate for it. Been younger than my workers doesn't give me the right to treat them different just because I am far better than them in that aspect,also been older than your employer doesn't give you the opportunity to misbehave.

In all it depends on preference.

There is no any problem in employing someone that is older than you, what a business or any organization wants is growth, so if you can make the growth happen then why not give it a try and see how it pan out, I think all of these traditions stems from way back when the older you are the more expertise you have, that is quickly changing nowadays because any body can come out from no where, put in time and learn a skill and with digital skills you can be pretty much better than most if you put in at most year of solid work.

Age is just a number, most adults are losers, they do not figure out anything in their lives, they just tend to be grown ups due to biology, if you want to hire someone and they have the expertise you need, go ahead and make it happen.