Is it right for an apprentice to outshine his master?

Etini

Valued Contributor
Picture this: I am learning how to sow clothes. And in the course of time due to my diligence, I have mastered some complicated styles. Meanwhile, I am still an apprentice. Then on a certain day, someone brings in a very complex style and my master rejects it because he can't show it. As the person is about to leave, I call the person back and tell him/ her I would sow it. I get the job and deliver it perfectly. Of course, I give the payment to my master. With that action, am I threatening my master? Would that action affect my apprenticeship with my master's?
It is often said that you should not outshine the master. Does it mean that if you eventually get better than your master, you should hide your skills? The person that taught me how to sing never gave me a platform to showcase because he felt I would outshine him. Is it wrong for a protege to be better than the master?

Actually I see nothing wrong in it at all,no matter how an apprentice have some little knowledge or smarter than his master,his master still takes the glory of I taught him the work there are some things that I don't actually keep in mind or have issues with,and I do not care what people say, because so far we are alive and breathing, people will always talk.

In your own case here,you still gave the money to your master,what I expected here is he or she should be proud of you. If your master is smart and nice enough,he or she supposed to keep you more closer because you will definitely bring in more income with your good skill but on the other thoughts,since you are so good in it,I don't think you should still be under someone working,you can start saving up and set up your own business with your skill and start making a good money for yourself,I think this should be better.

I think the first mistake you made was to collect the job behind your master after he/she has clearly rejected it. Now reason this, even if you give the money to your master, the said customer is not aware you did that, what they are aware of is that your master was not able to do it but you did it, hence next time they would want to go directly to you rather than your master. They would probably tell others you are better, hence others might also go to you rather than your master, they might even see your master as someone not capable. Your master on the other hand, the trust he or she once had for you would definitely reduce. Thoughts like how many jobs have you collected in his back before would pop up.