Is it Professional to Allow Married Couples to Work in Your Company?

Jasz

VIP Contributor
Companies have different policies regarding the presence of married couples in the workplace. Some companies will not hire married people at all. Others will allow them to work together, but in separate departments or with a firewall between them, so they cannot see each other's work. And still others will allow them to work together as a team even if they are married.

The issue with hiring married couples is that they may be more or less predisposed to favor one another over their colleagues. If one member of a couple is promoted, for example, it could lead to conflict in the workplace. Similarly, if one member of the couple is fired, it could cause hard feelings among other employees because it seems unfair to terminate someone's employment based on their marital status.

In general, companies should be careful about hiring married couples and should also stay away from allowing them to work together as a team if possible. There are many reasons for these policies, but most importantly, it's about fairness and the perception of fairness among employees who may feel that their own hard work isn't valued because someone else has an advantage due to family ties. What do you think?

E

eldavis

It depends on the couples themselves though, if they are matured to coordinate themselves and not let their marital lives affect their working lives. Most companies do not allow any from of relationship within the company simply to prevent distractions. There was a cases I heard about some time back about two workers who started seeing each other secretly, from there they started stealing from the company purse. This is also another reason not to allow couples work together. With that said there are also cases where married couples are doing just fine.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
@eldavis Married couples can be allowed to work in the same company. This is because married couples can be trusted. They already have a personal relationship outside of the workplace, so they get along well together. They are friends and they're always there for each other. If a married couple is hardworking and honest, then they're going to be good employees. If a married couple is not hardworking or honest, then their work performance will speak for itself. One of the main benefits of having married couples in your company is that you will have a better chance of retaining your employees. If you allow both spouses to work for you, then they will be less likely to leave for another job because their spouse can come with them. They also may be more loyal since they have an additional reason to stay at your company (their spouse). The bottom line here is that allowing married couples could potentially save money on recruiting costs and also help keep your best talent happy! Married couples are adults who are capable of making their own decisions regarding work and their personal lives. They can just as easily succeed in the workplace while maintaining a healthy relationship at home.

Ajebo25

Verified member
Yes and now but this really depends on the couple if they will slow their marital lives to get in the way of thier job but personally I font advise hiring married couple in the same company it will slow production which is really bad but you will have ti ask them questions before hiring them if their marital life won't get in the way of their job.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Well I don't see anything wrong with that actually, both of them can definitely work in the business organisation without any problem, it will always be something of a great joy even if one is being promoted to a better position in the business organisation. But just like you have said , there is likely to be a problem or some sort of unhappiness when one is being fired .

But normally if they are working together , I don't really think it can affect the progress of the business, but I am just afraid if problem won't arise between the both of them.

If I am operating a business organisation and both of them are opportune to work in the business, I will just allow them to work even if they are working in a separate department or even if they have to work together.

I don't still see anything wrong with that but the most important thing is that if both of them are willing to work in a business organisation they have to really take their responsibilities seriously because that is also what will determine the possibility of them staying long in a business organisation and I believe they will do it.