Is being a sole proprietor stressful?

PICKFORD

Verified member
A sole proprietor is basically anyone who owns operates, manage, control and facilitate the activities of particular business all by himself
The most common type of business structure is a sole proprietorship. A sole proprietor is an individual who owns and runs their own business. Sole proprietors run their businesses entirely on their own, have complete control, and make all decisions for the sole proprietorship. Sole proprietorships account for 73 percent of all businesses in the Africa, to be precise Nigeria. If you're thinking about starting your own business and forming a sole proprietorship, weigh the benefits and drawbacks of doing so before making a decision.
One of the reasons sole proprietorships are so appealing is that, of all the other types of structures, they are the simplest to establish and manage. Not to mention that sole proprietorships are the cheapest to establish. You don't have to go through as many hoops as you would if you were forming a corporation or a large-scale production. Simply register your company and apply for any business licenses and permits required by your city and state to get your sole proprietorship up and running. Depending on the permits and licenses you require, you may be required to pay some small fees. yet one of the Downs and reason why people do not engage in sole proprietorship business is because you're the one in charge, all of the responsibilities fall on your shoulders. A sole proprietor has the following responsibilities: Making choices,Keeping track of your books, Managing Corporate Taxes, Managing your company. If you get easily burned out or don't want to take on the responsibility of being a sole proprietor, you should think about another structure like partnership.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
Sole proprietorship and partnership business are both stressful and that is the reason why it is important that anyone that wants to venture into any kind of business must be ready to work very hard in order to succeed. sole proprietorship does not require large amount of money for you to start and of course you make your decisions by yourself and you employ people if you want and this is largely dependent on the size of the business you are into. I have had the opportunity to speak with sole proprietors severally and I can see that most of them enjoy the business because of the freedom it gives them. There is no pressure from anywhere for them to do anything because they make their decisions themselves.
Every business has its challenges and if someone who is a sole proprietor encounters such in his business and then he must be willing to bear the consequences alone. This is one of the major disadvantages of running your business alone. If it is in partnership business all the risks associated with the business will be shared equally among the members of the partnership business. Sometimes in sole proprietorship financing can equally be a problem.

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
Becoming a sole proprietor is not a day's job, it entails alot of discipline and hard work. A sole proprietor is someone who hands all the challenges and benefits of a business concern. He makes all the decisions and faces all the consequences of his action in the course of running the business.

Some people think all it takes to become a sole proprietor is all about having little capital to start selling and buying. The truth is that not everyone will succeed that ventures into a business as a result of some factors bothering on technical know how of the kind of business they intend to start. It is not enough to just jump into a business just because you have a space or capital to start something.

First, one must make some technical analysis on the kind of business you intend to start and do some market survey to ensure that you know more about the target audience your goods and services will be useful for.

Then you should also try as much as possible to be deligent and consistent with your business interms of time management, your opening time and closing time should be fixed and should not be inconsistent, and you should try as much as possible to make sure your product and services are always available so that your customers will not be disappointed when they come on to the store.

The job of a sole proprietor is indeed a tasking one. But very rewarding.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
In my experience I can say that being a sole proprietor is very stressful. I would be doing the accounting after dinner and sometimes it would last until midnight. That's a weekly routine because it was a small business and it is not practical to hire a bookkeeper yet. With the operation I was the manager and you can imagine all the issues that are coming to me. And when a staff has a personal problem it is partly my responsibility too. When I closed shop after 4 years of successful operation (somehow I consider it a successful business and the closure was not exactly due to the finances) I am now savoring my personal life and I don't think I would start up a business again like that. Maybe a small home based business is better because the overhead is small and I can close shop when I am not in the mood.

E

eldavis

Though when it comes to sole proprietorship kind of business, it has it advantages. In terms of decision making, you can easily make the decisions yourself without any worries or trouble, the decision making process is also an easy one. Decisions are made by you and you alone, hence decision making is way faster than other business with lots of persons running it but it also means you have to do the work alone by yourself, which can be pretty stressful most times and not to mention everything is on you.

Caramelle

Sole proprietorships can be stressful because the owner usually has to take responsibility for most aspects of the business operations. Anything that occurs in the business has direct consequences on the owner. This is usually the case for many small businesses that are operating on minimal capital. Such businesses would normally require the owner to multi-task, handling the operations, marketing, and administrative functions of the business. If it's a family business, some family members may be able to extend help and take some pressures off. Sole proprietorships with larger capital may be able to afford to hire professional managers, supervisors, and staff. In such situations, the owner can just exercise ministerial functions. This is usually the case when the owner is running several businesses simultaneously.

Despite the difficulties, sole proprietorships have their advantages particularly in decision making and in charting the direction of the business. As a sole proprietor, you make all the important decisions. In general, you have full control of the business. When the business succeeds, the credit and the profits are yours.​

Ithedicious

Valued Contributor
It may not really been stressful and it may also not be easy and as a result in whatever you are interested to do , you just have to be ready for it and you must also be ready to face every challenge that comes with whatever business you are ready to establish.

It won't really be a easy especially if you are interested to be a sole proprietorship , it will definitely affect your time and so many other things. All these things are to be put into consideration before you even think of establishing any business of your choice .

A lot of people who are interested to be a sole proprietor can establish any type of business they are interested and based on their decision they can employ in people to work for them at least this will help relieve the stress of running everything on your own.

It will even be more stressful is the type of business you are interested to establish is a progressive business because the progress of a business comes with a lot of challenges and you must be ready to face most of these challenges if you are really interested to succeed in the area of business you are doing.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
Being a sole proprietor is stressful.
WYou have to do everything yourself and deal with all the details. You can't delegate anything, and if you do it has to be perfect. If you mess something up, you have to fix it all by yourself.

If you're not happy with how things are going, there's no one else who will help you out. If your business is doing well, there's no one else who can tell you if it's good enough or not.

There's no way of knowing if someone else is better than you at what you do because they've been doing it longer than you have and they'll always be better than you in that particular area because they get paid more money for doing it better.

There's no way of knowing if someone else's offering is better than yours because they haven't given you any money yet and so they won't have any idea what makes them different from anyone else who wants your business until they pay their money to get started with their offer so then they can compare themselves against everyone else who has offered since then and now this person is comparing themselves against everyone else rather than just themselves before ever paying.