Investing basics every college student should know

King bell

VIP Contributor
Investing can be a great way to grow your money and prepare for the future. As a college student, you may not have much experience with investing, but it’s never too early to start learning about the basics. Here are some key concepts that every college student should understand before they begin investing:

Risk vs Reward: Investing involves taking on risk in exchange for potential rewards. The higher the risk you take on, the greater potential reward you could receive – but there is also a chance of losing money as well. Before investing, it’s important to consider how much risk you are comfortable with and what kind of return you expect from your investments.

Diversification: Diversifying your investments means spreading out your money across different types of assets such as stocks, bonds, mutual funds and real estate. This helps reduce overall risk by ensuring that if one type of investment performs poorly, other investments can help offset any losses.

Taxes: When it comes to taxes related to investing income or capital gains tax will likely apply depending on what type of asset is being sold or held over time. It’s important to understand how taxes work so that you don’t end up paying more than necessary when filing returns each year.

Costs & Fees: Many investments come with associated costs and fees which can eat into returns over time if not managed properly. Be sure to research all costs associated with an investment before committing any funds so that there are no surprises down the line!

Research & Education: Investing requires knowledge and understanding in order for it to be successful long-term; therefore researching different types of investments is essential before making any decisions about where or how much money should be invested in them. Additionally, staying up-to-date on market news and trends can help inform better decisions when deciding which assets might be best suited for individual goals or objectives .

Shaf

Verified member
I first started learning about how to invest when I was a college student and looking for something to generate passive income in a short time while I could still focus on my studies.

Some factors I considered was the time I had to monitor the investment, the amount of money and time frame in which I wanted returns, which made mutual funds to be very interesting to me. The reward is lower, but it is made up for by the lower risk.

I would say know, that it's also important to seek the advice of a mentor. It would have been better to work at getting a skill that pays during the time that I wasted, and I'm sure a mentor would have tod me such.