Interesting facts about obesity

General01

Plagiarized warning
According to the CDC, more than 38% of U.S. women over the age of 20 are obese—that’s over a third of adult women! While we hear stats and implications of obesity all the time, sometimes it’s hard to know what to do with that information. Here are a few important things to remember when thinking about obesity:

1. For one, not everyone who looks thin is healthy and not everyone who looks overweight is unhealthy. That’s because obesity occurs when a person's body mass index is 30 or greater and that’s not something you can discern by looking at a person.

2. Sometimes obesity is a result of circumstances, not just poor habits. Living in a food dessert or not making enough money to maintain a healthy diet can quickly lead to overindulgence in cheap, high-calorie foods.

3. Obesity isn't just a cosmetic concern. It is a medical problem that increases your risk of other diseases and health problems, such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and certain cancers. Focusing on preserving quality of life should always be prioritized over aesthetics.

If you’ve ever been overweight, you understand the overwhelming societal pressure to lose weight. We encourage you to listen to your body and focus on doing right by it, instead of listening to the outside world. Talk with a nutritionist or consult with your doctor to learn how obesity can be limiting you and be open to solutions that are long-term and sustainable. Ditch the mad dash to the gym and the crazy diets and love yourself through the journey of better health.

moonchild

VIP Contributor
I agree with most of your points, obesity is really bad for an individual and it shouldn't be taken lightly.

Here's a fun fact: if you want to know if you're obese or not, if your chest is protruding more than your belly then you're not obese but if your stomach is protruding more than your chest then you're certainly obese.

I also don't subscribe to the thought of heading to the gym right away, the best thing to do is to adjust your diet right away and stop consuming too much sugar and carbonated drink, there are a lot of keto diets out there one can try.

After you lose weight you can then start thinking of hitting the gym to have a compact body.

Because of social media now, fat and unattractive ladies think they're sexy because they're fat, and people showered them with likes and comment which is really crazy and stupid considering the danger they are in.

I just consider those people annoying, because fat and beauty are two parallel words that can never stay in one sentence.

Obesity has become a norm in Nigeria, people with pot belly are seen as affluent and those with Muscular body are seen as not so rich.

I don't see any relationship between the two though