How to Start Making Money as a Writer on Upwork

Mika

VIP Contributor
Freelance writing is one of the most popular niches on Upwork. As a writer, you can work on different kinds of writing projects and make money, for example, you can do content writing, SEO writing, blog writing, content rewriting, review writing, technical writing, ebook writing, etc.

However, one of the major issues people, especially those, who have recently joined the platform, complain that they are not getting any jobs, and thus are unable to make money. Here are some tips based on my experience.

Create a strong profile: You need to write an attractive bio, you need to share links to your website blogs, social media profiles, as well as showcase your works.

Take tests: Upwork encourages freelancers to take tests to prove that they can actually have the required qualification. Try to take tests and score better on your tests.

Built reputation: Before you start making money, you need to build a reputation on the site. Building a reputation means you have good reviews and ratings.

Reduce your bid rate: Who does not want to get paid better? You sure do want to receive $50 per article. However, if you are new, you will have to cut your rate to increase the chances of getting hired. You should always bid less than the budget set by the employer.

LoukiaCharilaou

Valued Contributor
Thank you very much for letting us know about Upwork. Your thread is very helpful, especially for those who would like to work as writers. As far as I am concerned, I joined Upwork but I am not active there. In the beginning, it is hard to find any jobs there because you need to build a good reputation. However, if you work hard, you will succeed. Anyway, Upwork is a site I would recommend for those interested in earning money as writers.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
Yeah, your tips are great and as someone who have an upwork account, I can relate to it. before I got accepted to up work there even subjected me to some level of tests to see if I am qualified to work on the platform.

After my account was approved I was not really active on the platform since then but I believe in the future I may try to become a full-time freelancer.

As a new freelancer it is always important and necessary your rate is low compared to those who have built a reputation on the website. If they are charging $50 for article you can actually put your own at $20.

That will give you a better chance of getting orders as a new freelancer. After some period of time when you might have gotten some ratings then you can start increasing your pay rate little by little. that is one of the tips to become successful as a freelancer on upwork.

arunima25

Verified member
Upwork and Fiverr are the two most popular sites when it comes to freelance work. I have read mostly good reviews about them on most of the forum sites. When I was looking for a good freelancing site for writing articles, I had come across these two names as the most recommended ones. I even joined Upwork but couldn't be active there. It was my laziness and procrastination to be blamed. Later I got busy with many things and could not be back to the site.
I would see if my account still holds valid there. I think it would not be valid any more as I was not active at all there and have not visited the site in a long time.
I am planning to get more into online working mode in coming year from April onwards. So, it would be better to get active on these sites.
Your thread is a very informative one. Thanks for such insights. It's really helpful to many who are looking for writing as a way to freelance in online world. I am definitely going to keep all these points in my mind when I get to work on Upwork.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Upwork is one of the outstanding places or platforms online for freelancer. I have profile already on the platform but I’m yet to make money off it. Yes it is always good to try out these freelancing platforms as one can make money off them. Making money as a writer on this platform isn’t easy because the established writers on the site don’t even allow the newbies to grow. But one just have to keep at it

Yes I agree with some of your suggestions we need to take some free tests to prove that we have the required qualification and score better too on your tests. Again, we need Built good reputation: Before it is good to build a reputation on the site for good reviews and ratings. Then we should reduce your bid to increase the chances of getting hired. Because without getting hired there will be no no money to be made.