How to Self Diagnose Bipolar Depression

Mika

VIP Contributor
Depression is a mental health issue where the patient feels lonely and sad. It is common for all of us to feel lonely and sad sometimes but in depression, the level of loneliness and sadness is at so terrible stage that the person has a suicidal tendency and has a lack of interest in almost all activities. A person who has depression may not know he has depression unless he tries to understand his own feelings and emotions.

There are different kinds of depression and one of the major types is Bipolar Depression or Major Depression. Here are the common symptoms of Bipolar Depression.

Frequently thinking about committing suicides

Having no interest in daily chores, and usual activities

Lack of concentration, low self-esteem

Unable to communicate, not interested in communicating

General apathy for people around

Having low energy levels, and fatigue

Lack of sleep or too much sleeping

Feeling depressed and sad

Feelings of loneliness, helplessness, experiencing guilt

Low appetite, or overeating

If you have the aforementioned symptoms, you need to see a psychiatrist. You cannot self-cure depression by yourself, you will have to undergo medication.

Note: The purpose of self diagnosis is not to undermine the role of the psychiatrist. It is a method to find out if you actually need professional help.

Lens1000

VIP Contributor
Thank for sharing such a wonderful thread. I admire your skills and your piece is impeccable. Depression is a very important topic that must be looked into critically with the focal lens. It is a condition that is happening to many people right now and that's where I am coming from. The government injunction with the health organisations must embark on a sensitization program that will enlighten the people on ways to combat depression. The happenings in the world right now could create depression.

The economic hardship, the inability to meet up with the family need etc are the major contributory factors to depression. In my country, many people have jumped off the third mainland bridge because of depression. The third mainland bridge is over the lagoon and the longest bridge in west Africa . We here of people drove to the bridge, came down from their cars and jump off to the lagoon. This happens almost 3 times in a month. This is why I stressed on the point of sensitization from the authorities in question. Once the symptoms that you have pointed out above comes up, it is a sign of the chronic depression, which needs urgent attention.