How to Negotiate Better For Your Freelancing Gigs

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
If you are a freelancer, you might have come across clients multiple times who ask you to low your price. If you want that money badly, you might even agree to the clients’ term for a lower pay. However, before you lower your pay, you should try to negotiate better. So, how do you negotiate better?

Let’s say you are commissioned for design a logo for $10 but your client asks you to do it for $7. Instead of saying ok, try to negotiate. Let’s say with your logo designing service, you are offering your client two reviews. Now, if the client wants you to do the logo for $7, you can also tell him that he does not get reviews and have to accept any logo you submit. This might confuse the client as he would not be able to make any corrections.

You can do this on almost all services. By being a better negotiator, you have better earning chances.

When the clients want to offer less amount for the service, cutting some of your services to maintain the price cut is a good strategy. However, this will work only when you are experienced and in a better position to negotiate. Let's say you are a freelancer with a lot of positive reviews and a lot of assignments at your hand. If someone wants you to cut your fees, you can easily tell them that you will also be cutting some of your services. However, if you are just starting out can you actually do this? You will be in such a hurry that you want to grab every offer no matter what you will have to do and how hard you will need to work and how little you will be paid. I was awarded my first freelancing contract on upwork only when I cut my standard rate by 50 percent.